Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro chime repeating at startup

hi, recently i just got a used mac pro (early 2008), it was working great for 2 days, but then as yesterday, when power it on, it will chime, get the grey screen, but then the chime will repeat multiple times. (it does this sometimes) idk what the problem is, i have tested the hardware everything passed, tried resetting PRAM, didnt help. so idk if its hardware related or software related. its running 10.6.8.

if someone could help me figure this issue out that would be very helpful.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 5:01 PM

30 replies

Feb 11, 2012 8:53 PM in response to lover of mac

Contrary to what was said above multiple chimes on a mac pro is not a indication of bad ram on a mac pro. Bad ram indications by POST are 1 and 3 flash sequences of the light on the power button. I'm not saying you don't have bad ram, only that multiple beeps is not the indicator.

If the power button does indicate a ram problem you should see a lit diagnostic led near the dimm slot(s) that are a problem. There's also another bank of diagnostic leds on the motherboard as well. I suggest you look inside when this problem occurs and look for lit diagnostic leds.

Note, when pushing the power button the diagnostic leds near the dimms will flash momentarily. That is normal.

It sounds to me the if you are hearing repeated beeps, that possibly the machine is trying to boot, the boot fails, and then tries to reboot again, etc.

This maybe be due to a disk problem, or a corrupt version of the OS. So you should see if you can boot from your installer dvd (a failure doing this probably does mean a hardware problem) and run disk utility to repair the boot drive.

Feb 11, 2012 10:17 PM in response to lover of mac

...where would i find the diganostilc LEDS on the ram?

They should be on each riser somewhere near the dimm slots. I any are on you will see them.

The other logic board diagnostic leds are grouped together. Below is a picture of what they are supposed to look like in a early 2008 Mac Pro:

User uploaded file

should i also attempt to repair the drive?

That's what I suggested previously. And use your installer DVD to run Disk Utility to do it. Then you can verify whether your machined even boots and then verify the drives.

Feb 11, 2012 10:51 PM in response to lover of mac

Just so I am clear. You were able to boot from you installer dvd and successfully repaired the drives. Then you rebooted from your machine, it chimed and started booting, failed, and chimed again and started booting again, and so on.

If this is what is happening then the repeated chimes are like what I initially described (repeated reboots). The fact that ram checks ok, you don't see any diagnostic leds, and boots ok from your installer dvd means (or has a high probability of) no hardware problems. That leaves the boot drive software is corrupted in some way. So all I can suggest at this point is reinstall (update install??).

mac pro chime repeating at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.