Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone4 loud buzzing sound in a call

My iPhone4 makes a loud buzzing sound when making or receiving a call. The other person cannot hear me, and I cannot hear them. This noise does not happen while using headphones or speaker phone. I have had my phone for just over 1 year (iPhone4).

Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do to solve it?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 5:14 PM

12 replies

Feb 17, 2012 9:51 AM in response to jomm22

Just an update - I reset all settings, and that didn't work. Then I erased all content and settings, and that didn't work. Then I reset my phone in itunes, which also did not work. I then made a genius bar appointment and they reset my firmware, which also did not work. They told me that I could get a new phone with them for $169 plus tax ($190), and that was the best they could do for me. They recommended that I call apple support ( 1-800-myapple), so I did. They went through the typical troubleshooting options, which I had already tried. I spoke to the technician's supervisor, who told me that the only other option would be to send in my phone for $199.99 to be repaired, which would take 5-7 days.

My phone is 33 days past the one year warranty. I guess the only option is to pay the $190 and get another phone 😟

Feb 17, 2012 11:51 AM in response to kjref;lkwaje;lijflkansfd

I'm on Telus in Ontario. For me, it's happened in various areas, and I don't usually have bad reception. Since I tried all of the resetting options, I've determined that my issue is not software at all, and the people in the Apple store and the tech support people I've talked to over the phone have confirmed this.

Try all of the troubleshooting options, and if that doesn't help, it may not be the iOS 5 update.

Apr 24, 2012 2:31 PM in response to jomm22

I Have iphone 4 cdma verizon wireless phone with all the same issues with the buzzing on incomming and outgoing calls, i am not able to hear anything except buzzing on calls, works on speaker phone and with headphones. I am thinking of changing out the the calling speaker or the mic but will have to do some further investigation before continuing. Any tech advise appretiated. Tomm22 did you get yours fixed yet, did they tell you what the issue was?

Apr 25, 2012 11:18 AM in response to sunniefromdenver

OK located problem and have fixed it. This problem was due to the data dock connector charger port flex ribbon cable it looks like this iphone4dock.jpg replacing it fixed all problems. The data cable connected to the dock is shorter on the CDMA verizone phones than the GSM AT&T iphone 4 cable. make sure you get the right one. I had Zac from ifixphones.com come to me in Denver CO and fix it for me. quick affordable and easy. no point doing it myself.

Hope this helps you out

Julian

Apr 28, 2012 3:51 PM in response to sunniefromdenver

That's really good to know! When I took my phone in to the Apple Store, and when I called support, they never actually asked me to demonstrate my issue. They never told me what the issue was, probably because the phone was out of warranty.

In the end, I got an out of warranty replacement for $190 because it was cheaper than having them attempt to fix the problem. I'm glad you were able to fix it though!

Aug 28, 2012 1:25 PM in response to Irresistible

I have a similar problem. It only started 2 weeks ago, and I've had an iphone 3GS forever. I have exchanged my phone (still 3GS), switched out my SIM card, AT&T has thoroughly checked for network issues. I've even deleted recent apps. They say the next step is changing my phone number, which I really don't want to do!! Any other advice?? I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Drilling, buzzing, clicking (on the other person's end) and a vibratory silence take over the call. It is happening more and more frequently, and interrupting some pretty important calls.

I just tried resetting the network (though I think that may have happened already just switching out the phone/SIM card/re-registering the phone with AT&T) and will see if that helps.

Any other help??

Oct 5, 2012 10:48 AM in response to jomm22

iphone starting buzzing and weird noises during calls ,cant here other person they cant hear me ,works on earphones and speaker mode , so many posts like this one ,looks like apple have a real problem 😮 my phone out of warrenty too so no doubt they will wash there hands unless you cough up cash SHOCKING ,,just to let previous posters know before repair attempt ,i had repair carried out changed the speaker twice worked first call then same again buzzing bloody buzzing . what next ? IDK maybe ribbon change in earlier post ,will keep you all posted

iPhone4 loud buzzing sound in a call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.