Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't install/reinstall

I'm trying to reinstall/install iTunes, but it won't work. I had tried to go on the support articles on Apple's website to help me, but they didn't work either. I previously had iTunes before somebody stole my iPod. I then got rid of iTunes on my computer. I recently got a new iPod and needd to install iTunes again, so when it was on the installer, before it could configure iTunes, a message popped up saying, "There is a problem with this Windoes Installer Package. A program required for this to install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." Then the green bar went all the way back, and it never finished installing. It went to the next step and it said that the program or whatever was interrupted before iTunes could be configured.

I then went to Apple's support articles for help and I came accross one that said, "iTunes and Quicktime cannot be installed without Visual Basic Script."(http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1331) So, I thought that was my problem. I did what the artivle told me to, but it still didn't work. Many tries and errors later, I found this: "Removing and reinstallilng iTunes, Quicktime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7" (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923). It told me that I had to get rid of all Apple software I had on my computer before I could reinstall iTunes again. So, I went to go uninstall it, relieved that I thought I had finally found my solution. In the midst of the uninstalling, the same message ("There is a problem with this Windoes Installer Package. A program required for this to install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.") came up again. I have no idea what to do now. I've tried so many different things, and I'm stuck. Please help.

P.S. If it helps any, I'm downloading iTunes through Google Chrome, which is how I installed it before my iPod was stolen.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 6:04 PM

1 reply

Apr 30, 2012 12:47 PM in response to DaLilz

OK, I had this same exact problem and became a bit discouraged when I realized no one had ever responded to your query with a solution, so I did a little more digging in different forums. Based on some reccomendations from several different posts, here's what I ended up doing, and it finally worked! (I run 64-bit Windows 7 by the way.)

Open the control panel and then click on "uninstall a program". Then (in this order) I scrolled down to Apple Software Update. Right-click and select "Repair". Then I scrolled down to iTunes, right-click and select "Repair". I then ran the software update again, and it worked like a charm!

I hope this helps others who were having the same problem!

iTunes won't install/reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.