Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to block email from certain senders

is there a way to block spam email

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 5:16 PM

11 replies

Sep 18, 2013 1:23 AM in response to michellefromlake station

Log in and open up Mac Mail. Click on the word "Mail" at the top left hand corner of the screen.

Click for the word "Preferences" at the top right hand corner of the page.

Search for the rules tab and click on it. Then find "Add Rule" and select it. Choose "From Contains" as the criteria.

Block the unwanted sender's email address. Type in the sender's complete email address, including the "@" symbol and the email provider. Do not put a period at the end of the email address.

Choose "Delete message" in the actions section. Label the rule in the "Descriptions" section by typing it in. Each rule needs a description in the event that it has to be referred to again.

Close the dialog box by clicking "OK." Repeat these steps to block additional senders as needed.

May 29, 2015 7:29 PM in response to carole-mac

Hi, Carole:

i do know that Verizon and most carriers DO offer this feature, for an additional monthly fee, usually around $5 per month per line. perhaps ATT did not understand what you were asking for? Just ask if they have a blocking feature you can purchase for an extra charge.

If you are able to add this blocking feature, you can then block certain senders, but have to do it from your cell phone. Basically, you would have to open the email in order to get to the 'From' line you need, in order to block them. Just make sure you do not open any links that might be contained within the email itself. Click on 'From', then tap on 'create new contact' and add them to your address book/contacts list. Then get out of mail and go to 'phone', then go to 'contacts'….type the (unwanted) sender name into the search box at the top in order to pull up their contact info, go down to the bottom of the contact info, and you should see 'block this caller'. tap on 'block this caller', and then tap on 'block contact', and that's it.

unfortunately, i think this means you have to keep this unwanted contact in your address book/contacts list, cuz if you delete them, it will delete your 'block contact' as well, which is a drag, but at least it is a solution for now, until apple/mac start offering this blocking feature for their computers directly.

hope this helps you….good luck! 🙂

May 29, 2015 7:58 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi, Gail:

no, i did not notice….I was trying to figure out how to block unwanted emails myself, and so went to these sites. then i figured out how to do it on my cell phone, so felt compelled to share the info, in case someone else was trying to figure out how to do the same.

i hope the past posters were able to resolve their issue. if anyone looks here that is 'new', they will see a solution. not a great one, but one that works, for now.

thanks for pointing it out (the age of the posts) to me…..

😉

is there a way to block email from certain senders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.