Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaCie hard drive goes to sleep while rendering in FCP X

Is anyone else having this problem? My LaCie D2 hard drives continually go to sleep when I leave the computer unattended for 30 min. or more while Final Cut Pro X is rendering or transcoding. The application becomes completely unresponsive and I have to force quit. And yes I have changed the energy settings in preferences so as not to put the hard drives to sleep ever. I've contacted LaCie and they tell me to send the hard drive back. I have 2 brand-new hard drives and they are both functioning the same way. Any suggestions?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 4:43 AM

17 replies

Feb 12, 2012 5:06 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Here is a free app which should do the same job

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31158/keep-drive-spinning

It says that some drives don't respect System Preferences so it sounds as though there is nothing wrong with your LaCies.

Here's the creator's description:-

Keep Drive Spinning...This applet makes sure that a connected drive never goes to sleep (that is, that it never spins down).

Normally this can be controlled using the Energy Saver preference pane in System Preferences, and that should be your first resort in dealing with the problem, rather than this or any other third party software. However, some external drives (e.g. Western Digital's MyBook drives) do not respect the System Preferences settings, so for them an alternative like this is needed.

This applet simply creates a launch agent that tells OS X to touch a hidden file on the selected drive once every minute so that the drive stays awake.

Launch agents are built-in OS X technology and persist across reboots, etc., so you can run this once to set-it-and-forget-it. You can find the launch agents made by Keep Drive Spinning in the LaunchAgents folder of your user's Library folder.

Feb 12, 2012 12:01 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

If that's correct, the LaCie rep was very naughty (or clueless) to tell the OP to return the drives.

Let's just say uninformed. It sounds nicer.

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10248

I have about 6 D2s and there was a run of them that had the spindown problem. I noticed it on the model that has the two way power switch (auto/off) vs the earlier version which had the 3 way power switch (On/Off/Auto).

I downloaded the firmware but haven't installed it yet. I discovered that the worst symptoms happened when my computer went to sleep. It would send the D2 into a coma. I set my preffs so the computer never sleeps and I haven't had any show stoppers since then.

good luck

g

LaCie hard drive goes to sleep while rendering in FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.