Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import to USB drive

I'm going to be doing a big video project this spring. I'll be away from my desktop. It'll just be me, my MacBook Air, four tapeless camcorders, and Final Cut Pro X. I'l be taking many hours of video off the camcorders at the end of each day, and putting that on an external drive. As you know, the MacBook Air does not have a firewire port. I know editing video with a USB drive is no good, but how about just capturing it to a USB drive (then editing it later on a firewire drive)? All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eMac, MBP, iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), MBA

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:43 AM

Importing isn't a problem; it's just a copy process.

5 replies

Feb 6, 2016 7:36 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Revisiting this all these years later. Did that project in 2012, and it went fine. Going to do similar thing this spring. Again, will have Macbook Air, but this time will have 2 TB portable thunderbolt drive. I've forgotten everything I learned in 2012. One question--I will not use the portable thunderbolt drive for editing, but will use it just to pull the video off the cards at the end of the shooting day so I can use the cards the next day. Can I just drag and drop the video files from the card to the portable drive, or do I have to fire up FCPX and use that? Thanks in advance.

import to USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.