Skip navigation

iMac G3 randomly shuts off..

350 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2012 3:45 PM by PattyCakez RSS
PattyCakez Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 12, 2012 9:41 AM

I have an old iMac G3 (400mhz slot loading) that I got second hand for free. When I first got it, it seemed to work perfectly in every way, but the hard disk wasn't very big so I tried to install a new (larger) one. Everything seemed to go fine, but after the upgrade, the computer would only stay powered on for about 10 minutes before shutting itself off. I assumed that it was a problem with the hard disk, so I put the old one back, but the problem persisted. It will only stay powered on for a maximum of about 20 minutes before blinking off and then it has to sit for a while before I can get another 20 miutes out of it

I've never done this before and it was incredibly difficult to get apart. Is this a coincidence or did I damage it somehow?

I'd really like to know what's wrong or if it can be fixed..

iMac, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.