6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 5:30 AM by Gino Cerullo
Carlo TD Level 3 (550 points)

Is possible to have a time machine backup on an external hd connected to either a primary or secondary router and not have "back to my mac" using 10.7.3?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 (98,344 points)

It might work....or it might not.....but it will not be supported by Apple in either case. 

• Gino Cerullo Level 4 (1,450 points)

As Bob indicated, Time Machine backups to hard drives connected to routers is not supported by Apple so YMMV. I'm curious why you're asking about 'Back to My Mac' as that service is not required for Time Machine.

• Carlo TD Level 3 (550 points)

That is what I figured. I was curious regarding a modem that doubles as a router, and an airport extrem as a second router.  If the person extends the connection using an eithernet cable from the primary modem/router to the airport extreme could an external hd be connected to the airport exteme? or Is it possible to use Airport Extreme as a primary router if a person has a dual function modem?

• Bob Timmons Level 10 (98,344 points)

The bottom line is that Apple does not support Time Machine backups at the USB port of the AirPort Extreme. If they don't support their own router, they certainly don't support other routers from other manufacturers.

Connect the drive directly to the Mac using either USB or FireWire.....or....use a Time Capsule.  Either of these setups will be supported.

If you want to try the unsupported method(s), you can certainly do so. But, I would suggest that you have a secondary backup plan in place if this is important data that you will be backing up.

• fromar Level 1 (0 points)

where did you get that information? I have a 1.5TB samsung usb drive connected to my Airport Extreme and I use it for time machine backups.

• Gino Cerullo Level 4 (1,450 points)

fromar, we are not saying that it will not work, at least for a little while. What we are saying is that Apple does not support such a configuration and if you should run into problems with that backup Apple will not provide support to you should you contact them.