Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is possible to have a time machine backup on an external hd connected to either a primary or secondary router and not have "back to my mac" using 10.7.3?

Is possible to have a time machine backup on an external hd connected to either a primary or secondary router and not have "back to my mac" using 10.7.3?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:57 AM

6 replies

Feb 12, 2012 11:35 AM in response to Gino Cerullo

That is what I figured. I was curious regarding a modem that doubles as a router, and an airport extrem as a second router. If the person extends the connection using an eithernet cable from the primary modem/router to the airport extreme could an external hd be connected to the airport exteme? or Is it possible to use Airport Extreme as a primary router if a person has a dual function modem?

Feb 12, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Carlo TD

The bottom line is that Apple does not support Time Machine backups at the USB port of the AirPort Extreme. If they don't support their own router, they certainly don't support other routers from other manufacturers.

Connect the drive directly to the Mac using either USB or FireWire.....or....use a Time Capsule. Either of these setups will be supported.

If you want to try the unsupported method(s), you can certainly do so. But, I would suggest that you have a secondary backup plan in place if this is important data that you will be backing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.