Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A copy has been placed in your outbox. The sender address was rejected by the server

A copy has been placed in your outbox. The sender address was rejected by the server??

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:56 PM

19 replies

Feb 16, 2012 3:34 PM in response to at1982

You probably did not set up the outgoing mail server correctly. You must set up both an incoming server (which appears to be working for you) and an outgoing (SMTP) server. You must enter your user ID and password for both, and enter the correct name of the outgoing server (which may be different from the incoming server). There is also a default outgoing server provided by your cell phone company that does not require ID and password, but will only work when you are not connected to WiFi. This server may be the reason that it will "randomly" allow an email to go; it really isn't random, it is when you are not connected to WiFi.

Jun 28, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Sturz

It's related to outgoing authentication settings. Keep in mind that iPhone treats incoming auth and outgoing auth separately.

Specifically under settings > Mail > %account name% > outgoing smtp > primary server > set the username and password.

The username and password would be provided by your email provider. Usually it's the same as your incoming settings (but not always). Also note that some ISPs block port 25. So you may experience failures when using wi-fi and default non-SSL email ports. If this is the case check with your email provider for alternate port settings.

If you are still having trouble, try to delete and re-create the POP account.

Jun 28, 2012 11:36 AM in response to Sturz

Make sure you are using 2 separate outgoing SMTP servers. One for use over Wifi (local ISP) and one for 3G/4G connection.

The wifi SMTP should be your ISP's or gmail's server. This way it will not get blocked by other wifi connections on a different ISP. Use your Mobile carrier's SMTP/outgoing mail server for 3G/4G connection.

Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Under Accounts, tap the account from which you're trying to send mail. You may need to tap your account more than once.

Under Outgoing Mail Server, tap SMTP.

If you don’t see Outgoing Mail Server, you may need to tap your account once more under Advanced first.

Tap your carrier's SMTP server. Select On on the On/Off slider.

Return to the SMTP screen. If additional items are listed under Other SMTP Servers, turn those on as well.

Restart your phone.

Jun 30, 2012 7:26 AM in response to ED3K

Hello wise community,

Please help me with this problem too

I have a black iphone 3gs 16gb - talk talk ISP and Orange

My email address is purchased through names.co.uk

I could send and receive emails via wifi, and could receive emails over mobile network but not send.

After phoning orange (they advised contacting names.co tech team), after phoning Talk talk (after getting through to some Indian, advised it was oranges problem) & names.co where very helpful but could only suggest purchasing smtp enabled service so that everything went through their servers thus no need for talk talk or orange servers.

So in dispair I had one more try at configuring myself ...

- I changed the outgoing mail server from smtp.tiscali.co.uk (port 25) to smtp.talktalk.net (port 587) - this is then the Primary Server

- I also added another SMTP Server - smtp.orange.net (server port 25).

Having done this I had a week of send and receiving emails - either on mobile network or via wifi. with no problems.

However this morning I went to reply to an email received that morning from my sister and I had the message "The Sender address was rejected by the server"

THis is very confusing to how it can work for a week and then suddenly not.

After looking through to check server details etc where correct, which I thought they all were, I found under the outgoing mail server i discover an "Advanced" screen. with incoming settings - use ssl - on server port 995 s/mime - off

Do I need to alter any of these ?????

Thank you in advanced for your help and simple easy to follow instructions

Kind regards

Jon Smith

Jun 30, 2012 7:38 AM in response to jonsmith77

You cleary have some setting wrong, but, as every provider has different requirements for server settings, you need to get information from the provider's web site. Just about every provider these days has knowledge base article on how to configure an iPhone.

If it is only sending then the advanced incoming settings may be wrong, but that isn't your problem. SSL and port numbers are a function of the mail provider's requirements. There is no general answer that works for all providers.

When you configure the SMTP (outgoing) server in almost all cases (Except your cellular provider's) you must enter your user ID and password, even though it says "Optional". It's only optional if you are on the provider's network.

Jun 30, 2012 11:12 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi There Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply,

So following your reply, i just put the settings back to primary server smtp.talktalk.net with smtp.orange.net as the other server. (no user names/passwords on either). turned iphone on and off. then sent an email with wifi off. It sent fine. How bizarre. Then tried to send another e with wifi on. wouldnt work.and back to square one

Then I went to put in username and password for the talk talk server, and came to the realisation that to access my talk talk account online its an email and password and cannot find as username (I dont use there email) tried to look online, so have emailed the help service.

These techie things taking flipping ages. I am frazzled and frustrated. I am just glad that at least I havent got an urgent or important email etc other wise I would be mighty angry.

Thanks for your help. I so hope that it is simply that I just need username and password on the primary server and bobs your uncle.

Fingers crossed.

Best

Jon

Jun 30, 2012 5:45 PM in response to jonsmith77

talktalk will require a user name and password. Your user name is your email address, the same as for your incoming mail server. The password is the same for both. When you are using 3G the Orange server sends your mail, and on WiFi the talktalk server sends it. However, if the talktalk is set up correctly you shouldn't need the Orange server.

Jul 1, 2012 6:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence,

I hope I am not beginning to drain you. but I am confused.

I get the bit for requiring to put my username and password in the "optional sections" of the talk talk outgoing server smtp.talktalk.net. Got it!

Regarding Your user name is your email used in the incoming mail server. Mine is a purchased one i.e jonsmith@jonsmith.com (obviously not that). Purchased via names.co.uk. I have tried using the email address as the username and the password used to access said email in the password, but when the iphone tries to verify it comes up with usrname and password for smtp.talktalk.net is incorrect. Ive also tried using the pop3.jonsmith.com (obviously not that one) and said password still the same. Ive tried using the same username and said password used in the incoming server set, i.e jonsmith.com (obviously not that one) and said password, still the same.

Ive tried using pop3.jonsmith.com and the talk talk password i use to access talk talk online still incorrect.

hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llp please!

Kind regards and thank you for all the time your investing.

thanks

Jon

A copy has been placed in your outbox. The sender address was rejected by the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.