Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

x axis labels text question

I have 8 short sentences which make up the 8 labels in the x axis of my chart.

I created a 3D bar chart.

In Excel these sentences / labels automatically appear at around 30 degrees to the axis line thereby revealing all the text.

In Numbers the sentences are in parallel to axis (looks horizontal) so that only the first and last sentence lablels appear.

How do I offset at an angle so that all text in all labels appear?

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 7:41 PM

Use the Metrics Inspector.

Click on the chart to select it, then click on one labels of the labels to select only the text box containing the x axis labels.

User uploaded file

In the Metrics Inspector, use the control or type in a value (in degrees CCW from horizontal) to Rotate the labels.

You may also need to move, or remove the Legend showing the colour(s) used for each series. This is also in a Text box.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2012 7:41 PM in response to Michael Vallance

Use the Metrics Inspector.

Click on the chart to select it, then click on one labels of the labels to select only the text box containing the x axis labels.

User uploaded file

In the Metrics Inspector, use the control or type in a value (in degrees CCW from horizontal) to Rotate the labels.

You may also need to move, or remove the Legend showing the colour(s) used for each series. This is also in a Text box.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 12, 2012 10:40 PM in response to Michael Vallance

"Thank you but I cannot highlight the text so rotation function is greyed out."

Highlighting the text isn't necessary. What needs to be selected is the text box containing the labels. Numbers fills in the text automatically to take advantage of the available space.

The large difference between my example and yours, though, is that you are using a '3d bar chart.' Apparently rotation of these labels is not supported on a 3D chart.

Regards,

Barry

x axis labels text question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.