Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Polycarbonate C2D and Lion

My sister has a 17" Polycarbonate Intel Core 2 Duo (2 Ghz 2 GB RAM) iMac.

I have two questions regarding Lion, as I would like to upgrade the computer to keep it up-to-date...

1. I read somewhere that the computer cannot physically handle Lion because of the processor or the video card (or something hardware related). Is that true?

2. Do I need to upgrade the RAM?

I've never been a fan of Lion, but I'd like her to keep enjoying the computer as long as possible... Even if that means upgrading.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo, Polycarbonate

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:54 PM

Please look over the General Requirements for Lion, this will answer all of your questions:

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory (4GB recommended)
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2012 6:54 PM in response to Tyler.W

Please look over the General Requirements for Lion, this will answer all of your questions:

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory (4GB recommended)
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

Feb 12, 2012 6:59 PM in response to Tyler.W

1. I read somewhere that the computer cannot physically handle Lion because of the processor or the video card (or something hardware related). Is that true?

Lion will run on any Core 2 Duo

Apple - Support - Lion - Installation and Recovery

2. Do I need to upgrade the RAM?

More RAM is better and that 2GHz Core 2 Duo model can be upgraded to a 2x2 4GB matched kit, however it only access about 3.3 of the 4GB.

iMac (Late 2006): Memory Specifications

Polycarbonate C2D and Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.