Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod touch video playlist

Can anyone tell me if The latest Touch's will support "Video Playlist's"

I ask because I use to own a touch. gen 1 or 2

i use to have a gen 3 or 4 nano that did support video playlists

When I got the touch and found it did not do video playlist's i gave it to my son and took back my nano.

so are the new touch's capable?

iPod touch

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:04 AM

8 replies

Jul 29, 2012 3:19 PM in response to battlestarq

This is wonderful. Apple is now demonstrating they have lost their vision. You can create a video playlist by using the smartplaylist feature. Create a new "smart playist" where you want your videos stored and then drag the videos into the Smart Playlist. In the clasic ipod you could just create a regular playlist and drag your videos there then organize them the way you want using a drag method to order them. No longer true with the new and improved SMART list. No Sir. It's really smart. In order to order your videos you have to go to the properties of the play list and then order them as if they were tracks in a regular playlist. The one you want first has to be track 1 then next is 2 etc. until you have them organize. Now here's what's really smart. When you look at the list in Itunes it will be organized based on the order you gave it in the Smart Playlist. But, once you sync the video and pull them up on the Ipod, your order is not there. I guess this really improves the user experience. Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone. It used to be simple, elegant and seemless. But I guess steve jobs isn't around to keep all those geniuses in line.

Jul 29, 2012 8:29 PM in response to battlestarq

Here is an update to my previous post. You can get the playlist working with videos. My objective was to load an array of MP4's into the Ipod 'Touch 4/5' and then organize them so that I could play these in my car. I am using the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH which is the latest latest Flagship for the Pioneer GPS and Audio and Video entertainment center. So I wanted to load an array of live videos largely because the audio is so much better than the MP3's or AAC's formats, even when using lossless.

I struggled at first because I followed the CNET guide on creating Video Playslists. Mistake. I had first used my Ipod classic and, as in my last note, created video playlists seemlessly by creating a list and simply dragging the videos out of the movies folder and ordering them the way I wanted to. The problem with the classic is that it can only manage very low resolution videos and the audio is not much better.

This is not quite the same procedure with the Ipod Touch and Itunes. When you import the videos, in MP4 format, they are automatically interpreted as Movies by Itunes. Actually they are Music Videos. So to avoid alot of issues, once you have imported all your video's, select all of them in one pass in the movie folder, then right click and select option Get Info. Once in get info, select the Options Tab and reclass the group as Music Video. They will, all of a sudden, begin to dissapear from Movie and become part of your Music Library. They are now available for adding directly to playlists you create and they can now be sorted or organized the way you want them in the playlist.

If you update the Info on the videos naming artists, album artists etc. You can later use this criteria to create a Smart List. Back in the car the only options to view the videos is through the Smart List feature. The regular playlists created out of the video's will only play the audio portion of the video. On your Ipod, though, the playlists you create will show the video. So I am thinking that my inability to see the video in the playlist might be related to limiting video while the car is in motion. On the Pioneer unit there are two video interfaces and since I don't have a back seat with video I think the video might pump out to the second video output. But I will leave somebody else to experiment with that. Hope this helps. Remember, classify the videos as Music Videos, not Movies.

Sep 25, 2012 5:29 AM in response to planb77

I recently upgraded my ipod touch to ios 6 and also updated itunes to version 10.7... since doing that, every time I try to play any videos on itunes, itunes stops working and windows closes it down.. "itunes has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I am eagerly awaiting that notification because this is ridiculous.

And how do you even make a video playlist? All my playlists are music ones, and before doing the stupid updates, my videos would play fine on my ipod... now they do not. Please help.

Sep 25, 2012 10:08 AM in response to bouges

Making a video playlist is easy. They are just like audio playlists except you include the MP4 file as part of the playlist. There is a trick though that is unclear to most. When you import videos into your itunes it automatically classify's them as a movie. Take one of the files you imported, which you should find in the Movies section of Itunes, right click and select the Get Info option. Select the video options section of the Get Info box and you will notice, near the center of the screen is a box with options in it that is labeled Media Kind. It will likely state the media kind is Video. Use the arrow down to view your choices and change the Move to Music Video.

After doing this your video will dissappear from the Movies folder of the library. Look at the Playlist section and you will see something called Music Videos with a type of gear icon next to it. Click on this and you will now find your music video. You can drag them to any playlist, mix them with mp3 or audio files and voila, you now have created a Music Video playlist. Hope this helps.

Shel

ipod touch video playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.