Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't extend my Apple Wireless network with Airport Utility 6

I have an Air Port Extreame and an Air Port Express and am trying to extend my network and since I upgraded to Air Port Utility 6 it will only let me join the network and not extend it. I can not find the option to allow this network to be extended anymore within 6 on the extreame. Is anyone else having this issue as well or am I just missing where to choose to allow my network to be extended like I did in 5?

Airport Extreme 2010-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Using Airport Express 2011 to extnd

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:31 AM

8 replies

Feb 13, 2012 8:45 AM in response to broit

I am talking about the option to let the network to be extended on the wireless tab on the Extreme when you are using Airport Utility v6. I have the option on the express to extend the network but it will not extend the network. It can join but not extend. On v5 it had a check mark you could select to "Allow the network to be extended" but that is gone in v6. Evey time I try to extend the network I get an error. I have talked to the higher level support and they were not aware that that option was gone in v6 as they do not have much experience with it yet.

Feb 13, 2012 9:48 AM in response to broit

It would be hard to say, at this point, if this option was "missed" or became "automatic" when another AirPort is configured to extend a wireless network. I would tend to agree with you that it is the former.

As you know this is a user-to-user community. Although Apple employees occasionally visit the forums, there is no guarentee that they would act on any of the suggestions users place here. Instead, you should submit your suggestion to the following Apple site.

Dec 4, 2012 3:05 PM in response to nuttree

This video helped me too. Watching the video I realized that the "Allow the network to be extended" option in Airport Utility 6.0 wasnt there becuase when you setup an airport extreme using it, that option is set automatically. Since I had already set mine up prior to using version 6, i just toggled the Network Mode option on the wireless tab from "create a wireless network" to "off" then back to "create a wireless network". Doing this allowed the airport extreme to be extended.

Can't extend my Apple Wireless network with Airport Utility 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.