Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choice to Buy TV Shows on ATV in SD not HD?

When I look at shows for purchase or rent on iTunes from my computer or iPad, I often see a choice to purchase the show in SD or HD, with HD obviously being more expensive.

However, when I am searching for content on my TV using ATV, I only see the HD choice, and I am not able to find the slection or setting that allows me to buy it in SD (which sometimes I will want to do for a kid show). Is there an option or a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:08 AM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2016 9:31 AM in response to Birdman325

I noticed this on my 4th gen Apple TV, and the fix for it seems to follow the one you had when you initially asked this question -- There's a preference deep in Settings that allows you to change to SD, though you have to swap to SD across the board. I'm not sure if that affects, say, what definition Netflix might use on your Apple TV.

Here are some instructions for the older model:

http://www.techerator.com/2013/08/buy-and-rent-videos-on-apple-tv-use-this-tip-t o-save-a-little-cash/

The new one's a little different. I can't recall where I found it -- it's in iTunes prefs somewhere in the Settings app -- but I swapped to SD, and suddenly could start purchasing Ray Donovan for $1.99 again. ;^)

Choice to Buy TV Shows on ATV in SD not HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.