Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update from 4.3.2 to 5.0.1 there is NO SERVICE.

I'm using an Iphone 4, White, Model MC604C. I bought this from my friend in Canada when she came back to Vietnam. At that time, the Iphone's version was 4.3.2, baseband 03.10.01 and I can use it with ANY SIM in Vietnam. So I guess this is a WORLD version. But today, I decided to update to version 5.0.1 but Itunes required a VALID sim to activate. Since I've updated many Iphones from Hongkong or Singapore, it always automatically activated if it was a WORLD version. So why did my phone need a valid sim then? I tried to put in and out my Sim card from Vietnam but there is always SEARCHING... and finally NO SERVICE.

Please help me with this issue. I don't know which carrier this Iphone belongs to and my friend doesn't remember either. So I cannot ask her to buy a Sim card to activate.

My Serial is: 88118TSHDZZ

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:27 AM

16 replies

Feb 13, 2012 8:34 AM in response to zKissy

If your iPhone4 ceased to work with your carrier when you tried to update to 5.01

That will be because someone hacked it to make it work with any carrier

and updating has locked it back to the original canadian

It is not a World version it would probably have been purchased from

a Canadian carrier and locked to them now you have relocked it by updating

see here for Apple comments on "hacking".

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

Only the Canadian carrier can unlock your iPhone4

Feb 13, 2012 9:01 AM in response to zKissy

Well that is the most obvious solution and being" like original" means nothing

Assuming the iPhone has locked to the original carrier (why it now will not work in

Vietnam) then that carrier is the ONLY source of an unlock to allow it to work

in your Country

Strange how many people cannot remember who their carrier was 😉

when it comes to arrangong an unlock that is if the carrier offers

unlocking, in Canada only FIDO and Rogers will unlock

see this doc

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

If you are convinced it is not locked go through the basic troubleshooting

found in the user manual

Feb 13, 2012 10:48 AM in response to wegras

djhmd

Hi i just have seen your problem I had the same situation with 4.2.1 but this is not your upgrade to ios 4.3 . few months ago i bought a factory unlocked iphone from apple store at full price. I bring it home and then i activated it with my fido sim card everything was perfect .
Then i send it to someone of my family in Morocco . When they received the phone they inserted a sim card and it said Invalid Sim card the iphone has been locked to Fido trough activation process went to appstore they did a check and they told me that infact it was unlocked and now it has been locked to fido ( Strange situation ) and then they told me to bring the phone and they will replace it but the phone was at 6000 Km so i had no choice i contacted fido to unlock it Because only fido and rogers can do this here in Canada so i paid 50 $ and send to them the proof of purchase and then they unlocked it trough itunes.

What they told me at appstore they have a batch of phones in this situations but now it seems that the problem is fixed.

Finaly for your information if you buy a brand new iphone from any career in canada you can activate it with any other carieer and it's gonna be locked to this career ( For example you can buy a brand new iphone from telus and for the first time you can use it with rogers and it will be locked to rogers ) Even if it s suposed to be a telus phone .

I found this post. Oh my GODDDDD! If this is true then Apple is **** **** and so is Canadian carrier.

Feb 13, 2012 12:20 PM in response to zKissy

I am not clear what point you are trying to make

The issue is always with the user, if you want an iPhone that

works without problems then buy it in Vietnam

Apple and Canadian carriers IN CANADA are selling to the Canadian

residents ,you are trying to save money and blaming everyone else

because you are trying to save a buck

Go buy from one of your two Apple Approved Carriers and you will have

no problems

just stop trying to claim a conspiracy

Feb 13, 2012 12:43 PM in response to wegras

Don't be too ridiculous. I didn't mean to blame anyone, any brand name or any country, and obviously not all the issue is from the users. They paid for the product, so they have the right to ask about any problems which caused under warranty force. As you can see, I'm not the only one who has this problem. There are tons of questions relevant to mine are updating but still have no solutions as they all bought the product outside the country. Not all nation in the world is authorised to sell IPhone 4. But you can find IP4 everywhere. They bought it in other countries and when they came home it didn't work. But there is no chance to come back for warranty so they used the online service, just like me. If Iphone has the global warranty policy just like Macbook or by checking serial or IMEI, Apple could help users to activate their Iphone again if they are factory unlocked, it would be much easier.

I would buy an Iphone from my country if they didn't force me to wait for so long. In Vietnam, if you want to buy an Iphone, you'll have to wait from 1 or 2 months. Lol, I'm not that kind of patience. That's why when my friend came back from Canada with a new Iphone, I bought it immediately.

Feb 13, 2012 9:51 PM in response to wegras

This became funny. I asked my friend in Canada to call Apple. They admitted that my Iphone was factory unlocked and support me with some easy steps which I had done thousands time like putting the sim card in and out, reset the network... Finally, they told me to bring the phone to the retail store or the carrier which provide this Iphone. That's the only way because "Apple can't do it. You can't do it. Only the retail store or the carrier which provide this Iphone can do it. If this Iphone was factory unlocked and now locked again, contact the carrier".

Lol, how could I bring my phone from Vietnam to Canada? The express fee could be half an Iphone. This really gets into my nerve.

Feb 13, 2012 11:05 PM in response to zKissy

The bottom line is that your phone is defective, and it's irrelevant that you can find someone else with the same problem. The vast, vast majority of factory unlocked phones sold in Canada (and elsewher) do not relock when updated.

Your phone is covered by the warranty only when you are in Canada. iPhone warranties are not international - valid only in the country where the phone was originally sold by Apple. This is well known and printed in the warranty. If you don't like it, take it up with the person who put a gun to your head and forced you to buy the phone in Canada instead of Vietnam.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

Feb 13, 2012 11:30 PM in response to modular747

I do know Apple does not have global warranty policy for Iphone. But when someone bought an Iphone from other countries and then they went home; or they purchased the phone in their home country but then went oversea, they can contact the carrier to unlock it if that carrier do provide that kind of service. My friend did. She bought the factory unlocked version so it was used perfectly and smoothly in Vietnam. Apple did admit this was true - the Iphone was factory unlocked. But since I updated my phone to 5.0.1, it was locked again. That's the problem which many users have faced. If you read my link, you could see.

All I want is to activate my Iphone so it could work with any sim card like usual. By checking the serial and IMEI, Apple DO KNOW my Iphone was factory unlocked. Is it too hard for them to unlock it again?

After update from 4.3.2 to 5.0.1 there is NO SERVICE.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.