Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet cable connected but no internet

I've just got my new 13 Macbook Pro yesterday, there seems to be nothing defective about this computer yet except for this issue which I think is just a matter of configuration.

I tried plugging in my ethernet cable to my school's internet (I cannot reset, touch or even see the router I'm actually plugging into). Usually the port works for other laptops, my friends tried the same port with the same cable and it works fine for him. But on my Mac it says that I'm connected to ethernet and the ISP but cannot connect to internet. In network utilities, the IP address starts with 169.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:10 PM

Go to System Preferences -> Network. Click on 'Advanced' and select 'TCP/IP. Click on the 'Renew lease' button. If this doesn't work then, in System Preferences -> Network, create a new location (you might as well call it "School"), select the new location and then remove all connections except Ethernet from the list on the left and try re-newing the lease again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2012 4:10 PM in response to xialu

Go to System Preferences -> Network. Click on 'Advanced' and select 'TCP/IP. Click on the 'Renew lease' button. If this doesn't work then, in System Preferences -> Network, create a new location (you might as well call it "School"), select the new location and then remove all connections except Ethernet from the list on the left and try re-newing the lease again.

Feb 13, 2012 4:19 PM in response to Zyriab

unfortunately none of that seemed to change anything. in network utilities it says I'm sending 500 packets (using the new location) and receiving 41. If I didn't use the new location it sends 300 something packets. Also renewing the license doesn't seem to change anything. My ip address is still 169.xx.... and subnet mask is 255.xx..... but I'm not getting anything for router or DNS server of search domains in network preferences.

Feb 13, 2012 4:26 PM in response to xialu

An address starting with 169 means your Mac is assigning an IP address because it can't connect to a DHCP server. Have you tried a re-boot? Always worth doing with problems of this nature, cures a panoply of ills! If after a re-boot it's still not working, then in the 'School' location, remove Ethernet and add it back in, effectively re-creating the network connection. Might even be worth re-booting between removing and adding it back in! Come back to us if still not working.

Ethernet cable connected but no internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.