Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot edit users in workgroup manager, new users cannot login

Hi All,

Today when we started trying to add users to our server (we use it only for afp access at this time), we noticed that new users belonging to a group "storage" were unable to login from client machines via afp (clients both 10.7.2 and 10.6.8).

When we tried editing the users accounts to change which groups they belonged to, it would appear in workgroup (and server preferences) that the changes would take but there was still no access.

As a test case, we modified an existing user who had no issues logging in to belong to a diffenent group and have different sharepoint access. The changes looked good in workgroup and server prefs, but when the user logged in, he was only able to acces his old sharepoint and not the new one (and since his permissions to the old were removed, he shouldn't have access to that sharepoint).

Also, for some reason users cannot be deleted within workgroup manager any more. The login used was the diradmin account.

Do I need to blow off the OD master?

Thanks for your help!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:50 PM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2012 8:08 AM in response to fkick

There are a number of things that could be going on, so I will start with easy ones.

-- Are you authenticated to the directory server? You can authenticate to the local machine and that has tripped me up before.

User uploaded file

-- If you have replicas in place for OD, you may want to make sure that everyone is seeing the correct server and that the directory information is syncing properly to the other servers.

-- Are you having issues binding computers to the OD at all?

-- lf you use the Web Service, can you authenticate with the users that you have?

-- Do you use any port mapping and is 548 open for AFP sharing on your network?

-- Are you sharing to the correct folders on your storage or has the storage been moved or modified?

These are the steps that I have taken that have helped. My apologies if you have already gone there.

Good Luck.

Cannot edit users in workgroup manager, new users cannot login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.