Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad2 prefers weak open Wi-Fi networks over a strong, secure, known networks

My office is in a building with a restaurant about 50 feet, and several brick walls away. The restaurant has a free/open Wi-Fi network. I frequently have lunch there and read the news on my iPad.

My office Wi-Fi router is about 10 feet from my desk. The office network uses WPA2.

Almost every time I grab my iPad in the office it connects to the very weak, not really working from here, unsecure restaurant network. It doesn't matter if I was last using the secure office Wi-Fi. "Forgetting" the open network doesn't help since it's immediately found again.

I have the same problem at home where my own home (preferred) network is secure, but several neighbors have open/unsecure networks.

Why does the iPad always prefer open/unsecure networks that I never want to use, over my own secure networks? Is there a way to stop that behavior?

It seems like there should be a switch called "ALWAYS USE KNOWN, LOCKED WI-FI NETWORKS IF AVAILABLE" or something like that.

The iPad status bar only shows the signal strength, not the network name, so every time I turn on the iPad I have to go into the Settings page to make sure I'm on the proper network.

This also seems like a real security problem since any apps that are running when I turn on the iPad probably try to connect to the Internet as soon as the open/unsecure network is available.

iPad2

iOS 5.0.1

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:13 PM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2017 8:00 AM in response to Robert Stoeber

I have this same question, however for MacBook Pro laptops and El Capitan 10.11. I have been wondering this for a while (even with previous OS's) and not sure how to help people in my office. It seems the weaker or non-password protected Wi-Fi connections are preferred over the main company wi-fi. I have found no place to "blacklist" any of the wi-fi connections near our office. I have set the preferred network (top of the list) to be our company's wi-fi and deleted the non-preferred wi-fi manually, but still it seems most of our Macs in the office prefer the guest networks or the non-password networks. Then users don't notice and go about their day and complain of issues, all stemming from the fact that they are on the wrong wi-fi. How can I force one wi-fi, and have it remember the password?? As well as blacklist other nearby wi-fi's so there is no option but to connect to the correct corporate wi-fi??

iPad2 prefers weak open Wi-Fi networks over a strong, secure, known networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.