Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV 2 stuck Activating setting date and time

My new Apple TV (2) is stuck at the Activating... screen and says Setting date and time.

How can I bypass setting the date and time, since this obviously is never going to work.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 5:52 AM

It can be that your firewall blocks NTP (port 123). Even if your DHCP server has a NTP server option (option 43) set, atv will try his one NTP server. So it hangs because of your firewall setting.

27 replies

Jul 21, 2012 5:53 AM in response to Eric Lindsay

Assuming this is not the first time you have used your Apple TV

• You might try restarting the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  • Also try restarting the router.
  • If the problem persists, try a restore, you may want to try the previous procedures several times before doing this.

If this is a new Apple TV, it may also be that your network router is not allowing access to the timeserver, check that your router allows access over port 123.

Jul 21, 2012 12:06 PM in response to Eric Lindsay

Eric,

I have seen this also on my apple tv's (2nd gen). Aventually it should quite but I have used the menu on the remote to back out of it. The problem is connecting to the time servers. The may not be a problem on your network or you would have noticed this on you computers clock especially if you have a mac. Macs by default use apple time servers. Sometimes they time out and it has nothing to do with your network. just reset it unpluc wait 30 sec, plug it back in. If its still stuck then use the remote to back out and stop it.

who knows by now its probably working since this was a while ago.

Jul 29, 2012 2:23 AM in response to Eric Lindsay

It seems my Apple TV problems were symptomatic of not having a decent internet connection. It was going out every minute or so. I think the least horrible solution is to configure the wireless access point and the Apple TV some place with working internet. After it is working, move the the access point and AppleTV to the final location, and just ignore any broken internet connection. It still complains, but not much. I have several Apple TVs to set up in locations that lack an internet connection.

Jan 4, 2013 12:10 AM in response to Eric Lindsay

Hi I had same problems and couldn't understand most of the solutions on offer as I'm a bit of a Luddite. The problem seems to be getting ATV to register your network time and date details following the upgrade of software. I use a wireless connection at home and my firewall was blocking the ATV from obtaining this information. Instead of changing router settings, firmware etc (which is beyond me) I solved it this way:

1. Rather than use my existing wireless connection I connected the ATV to my iPhone personal hotspot (iPhone has 3G connection). It may be another network could also be effective.

2. ATV connected via the iPhone no problem apparently got the network time and date settings ok.

3. The previous ATV functionality was restored.

3. I then disconnected from my iPhone hotspot and re-connected to my main wireless connection. All worked fine.

It seems what you need to do is side-step the router firewall problem. Hope it works for others.

Jan 12, 2013 4:17 AM in response to Technophobe101

Thanks!!!! I was having the same issue and it was driving me insane. I even went out and bought another Apple TV but experienced the same problem out of the box. Luckily the solution to use my iPhone for temporary access to the internet worked for both devices. They ar eboth now happily connected back on my main line and working perfectly.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2013 6:28 PM in response to Eric Lindsay

Same issue. Tried many Internet forums for the answer but nothing worked. Took it to the "genius" bar and got a new one. Brought it home.... Same problem. I was ******. Read a few more Internet forum answers and finally tried using a pen to hit the "reset" button on my wireless router. That was it. Works fine now. Too bad I wasted a trip to the mall. At least I got a good reminder while I was there as to why I don't go to the mall...lol

New Apple TV 2 stuck Activating setting date and time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.