Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The OS X disease

Two questions: (1) How can i have get-info on a folder display the number of files *in* the folder?

I do not like having to count them by hand.

And (2), how can i get new folders (and other files) to be placed at the bottom of a drive's window rather than off to the right at the top of the window..?

I have hundreds of files on this drive, arranged essentially in a tall column 3 or 4 files wide. I DON'T want new folders (or files that i copy or save to the drive) being placed all the way up at the top, out of view to the right because then i have to drag them all the way down to the bottom. Follow? Yet, this is what OSX is doing (usually).

Any help would be appreciated.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4; G5; Dual-Core iMac.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:23 PM

I don't think Tiger has the item count functionality for the Get Info window. Of course it does show at the bottom of the window the number of items in a folder when that folder is open in a window.

13 replies

Feb 13, 2012 9:28 PM in response to Limnos

Er, of course... thanks. 😐 Sometimes i get so frustrated using OSX that i miss simple/obvious things. It is pathetic, though, that it doesn't display the #files in the get-info window. OS9 and earlier even had this feature.

Now if only someone can answer my question above about Finder(?) misbehaviour.....

Feb 14, 2012 3:42 AM in response to paulpen

paulpen wrote:

I have hundreds of files on this drive, arranged essentially in a tall column 3 or 4 files wide. I DON'T want new folders (or files that i copy or save to the drive) being placed all the way up at the top, out of view to the right because then i have to drag them all the way down to the bottom. Follow? Yet, this is what OSX is doing (usually).

If this is what you mean by "Finder(?) misbehaviour" I, for one, don't understand what you mean.

You might be more likely to get an answer if you gave more details about what you're doing now (eg which View option in Finder is being used), and exactly what you want to achieve.

I'm assuming you are not keeping these hundreds of files on the desktop. If you are, don't - it will bog OSX down.

Feb 14, 2012 7:08 AM in response to Michael Wasley

Yes, that was my other question.

And of course, the drive's view is set to show icons.

And no, i wasn't talking about the desktop... the issue wouldn't apply there--if the desktop is covered with files/icons, new folders or copied files are typically placed over the startup drive's icon in the upper right corner. Obviously they couldn't be placed off-screen, but this is sort of what's happening when i create a new folder or copy a file to the hard drive (any hard drive or ramdisk). It's very annoying, infuriating, dysfunctional, counterintuitive, and downright obscene. Typical OS X. I just tested the behaviour in OS 9 and, as i thought, it is always placed at the bottom (or at worst, someplace else among your existing icons).

Feb 14, 2012 7:14 AM in response to paulpen

If this is on the desktop then as mentioned elsewhere, you shouldn't have so many files on the desktop that it is at all crowded. Files on the desktop use more resources and having hundreds of files on the dektop can cause the computer to freeze.

If this is in a normal Finder window there's a number of settings in the view options in Finder and you may need to see how those affect behavior. For example, if you have "keep arranged by" activated, the number of icons on a row changes to accommodate the window width. If you have no prefereces set, the item you copy to that window goes where you put it.

Feb 14, 2012 7:53 AM in response to paulpen

If I set folders or drives to icon view (which I never usually use) I see two characteristics. If I drag an item to within a folder it goes where I drop it. If I use any other method it goes to the bottom of the icons. I cannot replicate what you report given the limited information you have given about the detail of what you are doing and how.

You might find it easier to get a solution if you stopped ranting about OSX and what you perceive to be its shortcomings and talked more about what you are doing and how to get what you want.

EDIT: I'm assuming that when talking about viewing by icons you do mean viewing as icons (Command-1) not viewing as list (Command-2) which does make use of icons in the diplay?

Feb 14, 2012 8:54 AM in response to Michael Wasley

Limnos: I never use "keep arranged by" because i want the icons to be where i put them, or else just at the bottom. And i am not talking about when the drive (i.e. its window) is open--I am talking about when you drag a file to the drive's icon on the desktop. Or when you type Cmd+shift+N, you are not specifically putting the new folder anywhere--the OS does it.

Michael: yes i'm talking about regular icons view. To replicate this problem, you need to have LOTS of files (and/or folders) on a hard drive, arranged essentially in a tall narrow arrangement, a few files/icons wide. The problem doesn't appear until you have a rather tall [narrow] arrangement to your drive's window, As you say, when you drag a file to a drive's icon (to copy it to the drive), it *should* be placed at the very bottom, but once you have enough files on that drive (100 or so--it doesn't need to be terribly tall), i.e. when the OS apparently perceives that the drive's window is unpleasantly tall (to the stupid code that is OSX), it starts placing them off-window to the right at the *very top* of the window instead of at the bottom. It does this even if there is open space for icons elsewhere in the drive's window, e.g. if you deleted some things. This forces you to scroll all the way up to the top, over to the right, then drag the new icon all the way down to the bottom. At least in OS 10.4.11 it does this.

Btw, I rant about OSX because it is a bloody twisted obscenity (hi, Apple!). Excruciatingly unpleasant to use, far less intuitive than OS9 and only slightly more stable. Just now, it let me type almost the whole 1st paragraph above before realizing that no chars were actually appearing even though there was a flashing cursor in the text box! And when i click on "Add Reply" below, it will fail and force me to go to the advanced editor, every time, and just now, it stopped typing again for about half a sentence (and i had to re-type it). And this javascript (or whatever) text editor is so slow it's almost unusable. That can only be because it's poorly written, i.e. html bloatware.

Feb 14, 2012 11:05 AM in response to paulpen

Frankly I never use icon view mode. Never relly used it in OS9 either. I'm 99% of the time in list view mode. If you do have hundreds of files why do you want to view them in icon mode? Talk about having to scroll. :-/

It sounds to me like you are having a browser or connectivity issue. Although I do notice issues with the new ASC editor, it's mostly because I think too much is being done back at Apple and not enough on my computer by my browser. E.g. spell check is all serviced by Apple's server and not being done by my Firefox browser or even Apple's own OSX spellcheck utility.

Feb 14, 2012 12:25 PM in response to paulpen

You obviously have your own reasons for using icons but like Limnos I find it hard to understand why. I suspect icon view is a hangover from the good old days of System 6 and before and really only suitable for dealing with small numbers of items. You may find it more workable if you reorganised icons into a more hierarchical system.

I gave up icons many years ago and find list view much, much better. I do not like column view except for a few specific uses.

In more general terms I just do not recognise your description of OSX. I tend to be a late adopter and stuck with OS9 for a long time before going to 10.3 and did not move to 10.4 (the max for my Quicksilver) until some time after 10.5 was out. When I used OS9 I strongly disliked 10.3 on my occasional forays into Panther but when I did make the break I came to like most of it and found any return to OS9 a major pain. All that is, of course, personal preference, but I have found OSX much more stable than OS9.

This post is being made in Tiger from an old PB on which I have never had any of the posting problems that you describe.

It seems to me that if you are having major issues with stability and such there must be other factors at work such as problems with your system stuff or hardware.

Having said that Tiger is now getting very old and I do notice that some sites have become much slower recently, I suspect due to all the supposedly improving additions to them.

Feb 14, 2012 7:45 PM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1: FYI, there is only one more "generation" of OS beyond what I am using that will run on a PPC, and i don't care to spend the money on Leopard. Maybe i'll download it one of these days, but why shouldn't 10.4.11 work..? That's already the third or fourth major revision of OSX.

I'll admit that i don't spend lots of time reading the manual, going thru OSX Help, etc., but i shouldn't have to. It should just work. It shouldn't take Apple seven or eight major revisions to get the OS working smoothly. I mean, does Leopard even work right..? I doubt it. Unfortunately, i'll probably be finding out soon enough.

As for my original question, is there no answer then..? I use icon view because i think graphically. Alphabetic list view is useful sometimes, but icons are plainly more intuitive. Occasionally it takes me a minute to find a particular file on the drive's open window, or if i can't, i just switch temporarily to list view. It does not seem to be a hardware problem because it happens on both of my G4's, both running 10.4.11. I guess it's just basic OSX dysfunction.

Feb 14, 2012 8:17 PM in response to paulpen

Let's say it did add them on at the bottom. We'd get somebody else posting here complaining that they didn't add onto the side.

Everybody has their own long list of little details they'd like to see changed in operating systems. It's impossible to program in every little detail and frankly a programmer may have done it deliberately so it adds them that way, or simply didn't see it as an issue.

Apr 20, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Limnos

That's counterintuitive and absurd. It's like saying, "maybe someone will want icons to appear at random locations in the drive's window each time you open it" (i.e. instead of where you put them).

Also to APPLE: Can someone please fix the html/javascript here? Every time i try to post a reply, i get an error and have to go the "the Advanced Editor". The whole thing is obviously written sloppily, with lots and lots of unnecessary overhead. Thanks.

The OS X disease

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.