Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange "Password incorrect" lockout of iPhone

iPhone 3GS

iOS Version 5.0.1

Build 9A405

I have an Exchange email account set up on my iPhone. Now when I turn on my iPhone and "slide to unlock" I am presented with a popup window saying

Password Incorrect

Enter the password for the

Exchange account "Exchange"

{Password }

[Cancel] [OK]

Entering the formerly correct password then [OK] does not satisfy this challenge, the popup returns. If I attempt to [Cancel] the popup returns. I cannot get past this popup window. I'm locked out of my iPhone.

I no longer have an Exchange account. There is no current password to any Exchange account.

I need to gain access to my iPhone in order to remove this account from the email settings. I am unable to get beyond the above popup to do so.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:34 PM

How very strange. I went online to work with a completely different (Gmail) account and changed the password for THAT account. When I returned to my iPhone and attempted to access it I did not get the "Password Incorrect" popup for Exchange. I was able to get into my iPhone.

So my problem has gone away, at least for now.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2012 9:34 PM in response to jonfromco

How very strange. I went online to work with a completely different (Gmail) account and changed the password for THAT account. When I returned to my iPhone and attempted to access it I did not get the "Password Incorrect" popup for Exchange. I was able to get into my iPhone.

So my problem has gone away, at least for now.

May 15, 2012 8:05 AM in response to jonfromco

I'm interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and whether the password change has always worked? I updated to IOS 5.0.1 and now I'm getting locked out due to the Exchange pop-up. I went in to reset passwords to any Gmail accounts that I have on the chance that one of them is the culprit. Although I can login online to both without problem, I'm still getting nowhere with the iPhone. My iPhone is completely locked up as a result. If anyone has any other thoughts / solutions for the same problem, I would appreciate it!!

P.S. Exact same process as jonfromco, where Cancel just keeps the pop up and you can't get anywhere else into the phone. Very frustrating!

Jul 17, 2012 1:37 PM in response to jonfromco

I also just resolved the problem, but differently, and the issue was on the GMAIL side. This is a variation on some people's advice to allow App log-ins.

If you sign in on a computer browser and look at the top of your Gmail mail window, you may see a line above the message list that says something to the effect of "Unusual sign-in location: There have been multiple attempted log-ins from a suspicious source." My first two were from when I was traveling.

I confirmed that those locations were legit, and then there was another prompt asking about another suspicious repeated attempt sign-in, which was my iPhone Exchange, although it was not labeled as such. It gave me an option to forever accept sign-ins from this application (Exchange). I accepted, and all was fixed!

Hope that helps some people.

Exchange "Password incorrect" lockout of iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.