Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dissatisfaction with Samsung has led me to ask Apple for Assistance with iPad for Husband with MS

My husband suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and I am just trying to find information on any discounts or programs that would allow him to get an iPad2 w/ wi-fi and 3G. He currently has a Samsung Galaxy Tab that we paid for from our funds however, the time has come and it has issues and we are receiving no support from Samsung nor Verizon. Nothing. Verizon even sold us a charger that is not compatible with the Tab. Our Verizon store is not friendly or helpful on most occasions. But that is not why I am here. My husbands MS impairs his sight (closeness/reading & Uhthoff's phenomenon), small motor skills, dexterity, and walking/balance. He functions well enough to where he makes a commitment to working every day except when he is scheduled for infusions once per month at the hospital. So the best possible option for him now would be an Apple iPad. He has heavily relied on his other tablet, until now, to help him function daily at work and at home. However, our current budget will not allow us to make such a large purchase and payments do not seem to be an option at this time either. So if Community Affairs or a partnership with the MS Society or other group could offer a substantial discount to persons with disabilities that would be wonderful and we may be able to manage obtaining some remaining costs to complete the purchase. No, more than wonderful. At this point, I do not like him being without an assistive device. Watching him struggle to read or use maps breaks my heart and makes me worry of his safety.

Please contact me if anyone can be of any help. I spent over 2 hours online last night looking for assistance and as you can tell I didn't find any. Maybe I will find some here.

Thank you in advance for reading, responding and caring.

Lisa

P.S. - He was in the middle of a Audio Book about S. Jobs which he really enjoyed on long drives/trips to worksites. This has been a dissapointment not to be able to finish the book. His audio books are one of his favorite things when he drives or rides in the car. With his impaired sight, it opens a door he never new was there.

iPad 2

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:13 AM

I am sorry to hear of your husband's situation.

You may want to contact Apple (see contact info at bottom of page) since we are just users here in this forum. Apple does not participate here.

That said, I fail to see what an iPad could provide that your current tablet does not. If you are having trouble with the tablet perhaps a visit to their technical forums (similar to this technical forum) will provide some assistance.

Good luck with your search.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2012 7:13 AM in response to ldparris

I am sorry to hear of your husband's situation.

You may want to contact Apple (see contact info at bottom of page) since we are just users here in this forum. Apple does not participate here.

That said, I fail to see what an iPad could provide that your current tablet does not. If you are having trouble with the tablet perhaps a visit to their technical forums (similar to this technical forum) will provide some assistance.

Good luck with your search.

Feb 14, 2012 8:08 AM in response to ldparris

Sorry also to hear about your husband's situations. Apple, though, does not have any program for charitible donations to individuals; not one that they make public, anyway. You'll be far more likely to obtain financial assistance in acquiring an iPad for your husband if you contact local businesses, perhaps one that sells the iPad, or local charitable oranizations (Elks, Rotary Club, that sort of organization) and ask for help. Local businesses, and organizations, due to their interest in being seen as good community citizens, are much more likely to be willing to donate to individuals in need like you.

Good luck, and regards.

Feb 14, 2012 7:06 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman:

Thank you for your response but the trouble we are having is the Samsung Galaxy we purchased for my husband is having major issues and is just out of warranty. Both Verizon and Samsung are giving us a hard time trying to deal with any troubleshooting, replacement or any other help. Like I said before Verizon even gave us a replacement charger that was the wrong charger which is useless to us. It was recommended we look for an iPad/Apple product for it's reputation, reliability and numerous positive attributes that would assist my husband and his disability.

Thanks again.

Feb 14, 2012 8:26 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thank you Johnathan but I have done some research in those areas plus some. I think during these economic times everyone is referring you to someone else. I researched the national and local MS society groups and they refer me to state programs who like the others are not providing technology assistance at this time unless you meet certain disability requirements more severe than that of my husbands. I guess we will manage eventhough it is a struggle for him, many other disabled persons have more of a need for necessities than he does and I am grateful for what we have and do hope those with greater needs get what they need to manage their daily life.

Dissatisfaction with Samsung has led me to ask Apple for Assistance with iPad for Husband with MS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.