Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best PAL SD Menu and overlay formats for DVD Studio Pro

Hi, I just want to find out the optimal format to make the best looking text based PAL DVD menu and overlay. My client asked if I could make it look better... and I've been scratching my head. I think they've been spoilt with the HD uploads I've sent them. Just want to double check to see if there is anyway to make it look sharper, higher res etc?

FOR THE MENU

I currently start with a still image/menu layout in FCP on a 1920x1080 apple prores 422 (HQ) timeline. Then create a 5 second .m2v clip in Compressor with:

Two pass VBR Best

Avg bit rate 5.5

Max bit rate 7.3

Frame controls - ON

Resize - Best

Output fields - Progressive

Deinterlace - Best

Adaptive details - checked

FOR THE OVERLAY

What's the best image format and pixel dimensions for the overlay?

I currently make a 720x576 PNG image on white background, with solid red overlays in photoshop. Generally the edges always look jaggy with circles, and even squares can look pretty dodgy.

Many thanks for any help

Jon

MAC PRO

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:09 AM

7 replies

Feb 14, 2012 11:55 AM in response to awegawevgr

People generally let Adobe Photoshop operate in a sRGB, Adobe 1988, CMYK or LAB color spaces. NTSC rec 601 and 709 are much much smaller, more limited spaces.

The greater range of the print world spaces means there are wide areas that are outside the range of video. These tend to be very bright and highly saturated colors. In order to display colors accurately on a video (TV) monitor, the colors have to be pulled in from the extremes to within what the standard knows how to handle.

I believe Photoshop has the option of setting up the color space to NTSC 601 or 709 legal colors. This may help.

x

Feb 14, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Studio X

One additional point. Bring in a still image and check it out for "legality" using FCP's scope functions.

There has been some discussion about how accurate they are vis a vis external scopes, but, the FCP ones will show you when the image is way out of bounds.

Don't know what video scopes are and/or how to use them? Think of this as a learning moment. Make the most of it.

x

What's the best PAL SD Menu and overlay formats for DVD Studio Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.