Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies not playing in iTunes 10.5.3

In the past few days I have downloaded some movies through iTunes, some through iTunes purchases and some by entering the digital copy codes that came with DVDs/Blu-rays. When I try to sync these items with my iPad, I get a message that they cannot be synced. When I try to create an iPad version through the advanced menu, I get a message that they cannot be found. When I try to watch them on my MacBook using iTunes, I get a message that the movie requires QuickTime, which is not compatible with this version of iTunes.

How can I get these items to play and sync? They work if I open iTunes in 32-bit mode, but this is an annoying workaround. Plus, the iTunes support article says this is only necessary for "older media files" -- these are not old media; I just downloaded them. What is Apple doing selling files that are incompatible with its current version of iTunes? If I had known I had to go through such trouble to get them to play, I probably would not have bought them in the first place.

iTunes 10.5.3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 8:05 AM

2 replies

Oct 27, 2012 12:57 PM in response to JWS0502

I figured it out. In case others are having this problem and come across this post, I figured I'd post what worked for me: I just deleted the movies from my iTunes library, but selected "Keep Files" when the warning prompt popped up. I then added the files back to my library, and everything started working fine.

Movies not playing in iTunes 10.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.