Skip navigation

Using File Vault on a laptop that contains some encrypted disk images

371 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 9:46 AM by Tony T1 RSS
xosa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 14, 2012 9:23 AM

I keep several encrypted disk images in the Dropbox folder on my laptop. Can I use File Vault to encrypt the laptop when it contains these already encrypted .dmg and .sparsebundle files? Or will this double encryption harm them?

(These folders need to be individually encrypted to reside in an encrypted form on the Dropbox server. If I unencrypt them and use only File Vault, then when I'm on the computer and File Vault is off, the folders will sync to Dropbox in their unencrypted form. I want to keep these folders individually encrypted for security on the Dropbox server, then use FIle Vault on top of that to secure the rest of my laptop in case of theft).

Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.