Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add music to iphoto slideshow

I have followed these directions:

If you don’t see your iTunes library in the Source pop-up menu:

Try the following:

Quit both iTunes and iPhoto. Open iTunes first, and then reopen iPhoto.

If you recently installed iLife software, it’s a good idea to open each application in the following order: iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and then iDVD.

These applications use one another’s media libraries, and opening the applications in that sequence ensures that you see the most up-to-date versions of your music library, photo library, and Movies folder no matter which application you’re using.

If you still don’t see your iTunes library, try this:

Quit iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and iTunes.

In the Finder, locate your iTunes folder.

It is usually in [Home]/Music/iTunes or [Home]/Documents/iTunes. If it’s not there, search for it.

Open the iTunes folder and drag the iTunes Music Library.xml file to your desktop.

Open iTunes and create a new playlist (choose File > New Playlist).

Quit iTunes and open iPhoto.

You should now see your iTunes library when creating a slideshow.

And they do not work. What do I do now? How do I drag my music to iphoto to make my slide show? Or add my own music to the slide show.

Thank you!

Lacey

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Issues in Mac App Store

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 12:42 PM

13 replies

Feb 14, 2012 1:04 PM in response to lacedup980

And they do not work. What do I do now? How do I drag my music to iphoto to make my slide show? Or add my own music to the slide show.

You can not "drag your music to iPhoto"

You must use the iPhoto interface to the iTunes library

Hve you looked at the iPhoto Help for adding music to a slideshow?

User uploaded file

Add music to a slideshow

You can add music to your slideshow. iPhoto includes a selection of theme music, or you can use songs or playlists from iTunes, or songs from GarageBand.

Hide

To add music to a slideshow:

1. Do one of the following:
    • Select the slideshow in the Source list, and then click the Music button in the toolbar. (If you’re in full-screen view, first exit it by clicking Full Screen in the toolbar. If you’re using Mac OS X v10.7 or later, move your pointer to the top of the screen, and then click the Full Screen button that appears in the top-right corner.)
    • While a slideshow is playing, move the pointer to make the slideshow controls appear, and then click the Music button:User uploaded file
  2. In the Music Settings window, make sure the “Play music during slideshow” checkbox is selected.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • To use one song for the whole slideshow, choose an option from the Source pop-up menu, and then select a song.To listen to a song, double-click it, or select it and click the Play button. To stop playing the song, click the Play button again.
    • To create a playlist of several songs, select “Custom Playlist for Slideshow,” and drag songs from the top list to the area below the checkbox. To reorder songs, drag them up or down in the list.
  4. To adjust the slideshow length to the music (or vice versa), see Change slideshow settings.

To prevent slideshow music from playing, deselect “Play music during slideshow” in the Music Settings window.

Tip: If it takes a long time for a slideshow to start, it might be because the background music is a very large file. Try choosing a song with a smaller file size. To see a file’s size, open iTunes, select the song, and then choose File > Get Info.

LN

Feb 14, 2012 1:22 PM in response to LarryHN

when I ask for help in iphoto and how to add music to my slide show, there are two options. One is a discription on how to add music, and the other is how to add music from my itunes. I am trying to add music from my itunes, however the list of my songs is not populating.

When I try to do what the 'help' tells me to do in populating my itunes list, nothing works. And I am wondering how do I add my own music, from itunes, to my iphoto slide show?

Specs:

iphoto '11

itunes 10

MacBook Pro 10.7.3

Feb 14, 2012 2:16 PM in response to lacedup980

Can you give us a screenshot (use Grab from the Applications/Utilities folder) to show us what you see in iPhoto when you click on the Music button? This is what you should see:

User uploaded file

When you click on the Source menu you should see this:

User uploaded file

Click on the iTunes option in the list and all of the iTunes tracks will be displayed. Show us what you're seeing.

OT

Feb 17, 2012 12:04 PM in response to Old Toad

For some reason I am not able to grab the iphoto view with the add music dialog box open because when I click on grab the music settings box goes away. But, basically, I am able to see the "Theme" music that comes standard with iphoto. But when I click on itunes to retrieve my own music, nothing shows up under the poulated list. It just says 'Open itunes for list to be populated'. So, I open itunes. Still nothing happens.

So I went to iphoto help and asked how to add music to slide show. It gave me two options. First, how to add music. Then, if I don't see my itunes music in the music settings box. I click on the second heading to figure out how to add my own itunes music to slide show. I followed the direcitons they gave exactly. But the part I do not understand in those directions are steps

2. In the Finder, locate your iTunes folder.

It is usually in [Home]/Music/iTunes or [Home]/Documents/iTunes. If it’s not there, search for it.

3. Open the iTunes folder and drag the iTunes Music Library.xml file to your desktop.

Did this but why? What do I do with this file once it's on my desktop?

4. Open iTunes and create a new playlist (choose File > New Playlist).

Again, why just make a new playlist? How does this do anything? I tried putting the Library.xml file in my new playlist, but that didn't work either.

5. Quit iTunes and open iPhoto.

I tried keeping itunes open instead, also didn't work.

On a completely different note, when I open imovie that program also has the same add music dialog box and it also doesn't work by showing my itunes music. But I'm able to drag music straight from itunes to imovie. But this doesn't work in iphoto.

It would be awesome if this would work. Thanks for your help! More please.

Lacey

Oct 31, 2014 8:21 AM in response to lacedup980

Hello,

I have had the same exact problem as you but I finally figured it out...

1. Drag the music you want to add into our slideshow to your desktop

2. Then open your music settings and click on iTunes (still no music will show up)

3. Check the "Custom Playlist for Slideshow" bow then drag your music from the desktop into the box (make sure you do not click out of iPhoto or the music settings box with go away and this will not work)

4. Make sure both the "Custom Playlist for Slideshow" box and the "Play music during slideshow" box have been checkedUser uploaded file

5. select the music you want to be played and click choose

Your music should play after this 🙂

add music to iphoto slideshow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.