Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long can a usb printer cable be?

I am trying to connect a HP laserjet 2840 to my iMac with a USB 2.0 cable that is 25ft long. The computer does not recongnize the printer or that it is connected when I plug them both in. The same 25ft cable works fine when connected to my other HP P1006 printer. The HP 2840 works fine when I use a shorter usb cable. Does any one know what the solution to this problem is?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), connect a HP laserjet 2840

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 1:24 PM

3 replies

Feb 14, 2012 10:14 PM in response to chadchast

I don't know if a powered hub would work for that purpose. It might be worth a try, though.

A repeater such as I referrred to would be something like what is depicted at this website -

USB 2.0 Extension Repeater Cable Extender exceed maximum length

Note - I've never used one of those, and just grabbed the first webpage that came up in a Google search for such an item.

how long can a usb printer cable be?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.