Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does a black screen with a black triangle

I have just started to use Photo

What does a black screen with a black triangle in the middle with an exclamation point mean?

Also I see my pictures as a dotted rectangle, the picturee flashes on for a second and then it disappears

I just rebuilt the library but that did not fix it

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 2:29 PM

The ! turns up when iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2012 2:29 PM in response to Don Hutchinson1

The ! turns up when iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Feb 14, 2012 3:13 PM in response to Yer_Man

I had and have the Managed Library setting checked.

I am running out o space on my Power Book and seeing how many space was taken udrivr p by images.photos

I tried ot transer the to an external drive

I tried to rebuild the Library but that doesn/t clear the problem thatI may have to find the photos and then reimport them

I thnk the library is actually on my external drive but the files will not hopen - unrecognized format

Feb 14, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Don Hutchinson1

How did you move it?

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

And note that you must always have a minimum of 10GB of free space on your boot drive or you will ahve problems and can corrupt fiels

LN

Feb 15, 2012 10:38 AM in response to LeVignoble

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Feb 16, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Yer_Man

I tried ths and was able to create/import omn 60 or so photos but elsewher I saw tha I have 580 photos

The log showed a large number of errors, with addresses that I could not figure what they meant and where they were stored

I really screwed up on trying to move things around;

One of the reasons for moving was because my internal hard drive has only 7 GB of space. not the minimum of 10 recommended by Larry HN

I thik that need to move every picture/photo over to my exteneral drive and work at getting them all imntegrated.

Otherwise very helpful for you to point me to the iPhone Library Manager

What does a black screen with a black triangle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.