Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no security panel visible in my system preferences?

Hi,

Please help...I do not have access to Security system preferences. Nothing loads and nothing is visible in system preferences. WHen I clicked a link to access it from help window a message told me it was missing or disabled (neither of which I was aware of). It also stated a '2 param error'.

I recently installed 10.6.8, and have assumed that all was present and correct until now!

ANy ideas?

Alan

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 2:04 PM

8 replies

Feb 14, 2012 2:18 PM in response to alanpylon

Backup your files off the machine and disconnect.

If you can't, try holding the shift key and booting see if that gets you in.

If you have backups then no need.

Reinstall 10.6 alone by (cleaning and polishing disk first) hold c booting off the 10.6 disk and simply installing, then reboot and run Software Update again to get to 10.6.8

See if that fixes your issue.

Some third party programs will require to be reinstalled.

Your files and most third party programs won't be touched, but try to backup your files because who knows what is going to go further wrong.

Feb 14, 2012 2:18 PM in response to alanpylon

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below to select it, then right-click or control-click and select Services > Show Info from the contextual menu:

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane

If you get an error message that the file doesn't exist, back up all data, then boot from your installation disc and reinstall the Mac OS. After reinstalling, run Software Update.

If an Info window opens, post a screenshot.

Feb 16, 2012 12:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I get a menu as follows...

Copy

Select all

--------------------------------------------------

Search google for ' /System/Library...'

View Selction Source

--------------------------------------------------

Inspect Element.

Still trying to find time to follow ds store's advice, so if you have any thing else I can try in the meantime I really appreciate it.

Alan

Feb 16, 2012 12:49 PM in response to alanpylon

alanpylon wrote:

I do not have access to Security system preferences. Nothing loads and nothing is visible in system preferences.

Open your Users/Library/Preferences and remove a file called

com.apple.systempreferences.plist

to your desktop, reboot the machine and open System Preferences

1: If resolved, then trash the desktop .plist file

2: If not resolved, then return the .plist file and report your findings.

🙂

Why is there no security panel visible in my system preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.