Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences won't work when i click on it (on the apple menu)

When i click System Preferences on the apple menu nothing will happen.

So what do i do,i have looked at other peoples answers and nothings helped and the same on google.

I NEED HELP ASAP 😢

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 8:59 PM

19 replies

Feb 15, 2012 3:07 PM in response to leslinefromlondon

ok, all the menu item in the Apple menu does is launch the application System Preferences.app that normally lives in the Applications folder. It will launch that application wherever it lives, actually, but no one normally moves it.

if you have no System Preferences application in your applications folder, that that means that:

• you (or someone) has moved it
  • you (or someone) has deleted it
  • your hard disk is dying or your system is compromised

If you do have the System Preferences app somewhere, then you most likely have a permissions problem.

Normally I would suggest that you reinstall the system from the install DVD (or if you are on Lion, use the Lion recovery partition), but in this case you should verify the disk first. open Disk Utility (located in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder) and run verify or repair to see if the diskj checks out.

System Preferences won't work when i click on it (on the apple menu)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.