Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatible HD for Early Mac Pro 2008

Hello All,

I have two failing drives in my early Mac Pro 2008 and its time to find some replacements. The drives I need to replace are 1TB in size but I was looking to get something larger being 1.5TB. I read on a site that this version of Mac Pro supports a maximum of 4TB accross all the four bays which would essentially mean a maximum of 1TB for each Bay. Here is the link to the site: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-how-to-upgrade-hard-dr ives-what-type-supported.html

Question I have, is whether its safe to add two 1.5TB drives (I also have a 640GB for the boot and 500GB additional data drive) or should I stick with 1TB drives? Also, is there any advantage in going beyond the 3Gb/s Serial ATA spec as I would suspect the faster drives would not be utilized to their capacity given the older data path in this machine.

Any help/advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Vin.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 8:58 PM

You can put any make and any size 3.5" drive in all the bays in any combination. Also SATA 3's will work but of course at not their full maximum speed as you mentioned so SATA 2's are OK.

As an example, if you got 4 3TB's you could stuff them in there for a max of 12TB. Bit of overkill unless you really need all that space!😉

Personally I like Western Digital 1TB and 2TB blacks.

You might also want to consider using an SSD as your boot drive.

Update: I took a look at that site you linked. That 4TB limit is the max any one drive bay can support, not the total capacity across all 4 bays.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2012 8:58 PM in response to Vincenzo Baldacchino

You can put any make and any size 3.5" drive in all the bays in any combination. Also SATA 3's will work but of course at not their full maximum speed as you mentioned so SATA 2's are OK.

As an example, if you got 4 3TB's you could stuff them in there for a max of 12TB. Bit of overkill unless you really need all that space!😉

Personally I like Western Digital 1TB and 2TB blacks.

You might also want to consider using an SSD as your boot drive.

Update: I took a look at that site you linked. That 4TB limit is the max any one drive bay can support, not the total capacity across all 4 bays.

Feb 15, 2012 4:00 AM in response to Vincenzo Baldacchino

I would recommend you go with the latest model versions and avoid the older models.

Second, probably avoid any drive that is 'green' and does not operate at 7200 rpm (5400 rpm or variable type)

Plan on using no more than about 60% gives you some room and more likely to have files located in the faster outer portion where the drive performance is best.

It is only when you get into SSDs that you can talk of overkill but even there something to look at for your system. And with 2TB WD Black and 120GB SSD both going for about $200.

Feb 15, 2012 8:44 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly stay clear of the 'green' drives as I am currently using 7200rpm drives today which are going bad - nothing lasts forever I guess...! 😐

Just to go back to your point on using the latest model versions. Can you please expand on that as I am still a little fuzzy on using the newer SATA III 6Gbps drives which I am not so sure my Mac Pro will be able to benefit from given its older design as I believe it came out when the SATA II drives were the latest and greatest. I assume going with a SATA II drive will be cheaper and perform the the maximum that my Mac Pro can handle...?

Feb 15, 2012 9:18 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yup. And everyone thinks SATA III is ONLY the 6G and not the improvements in the features and support for Native Command Queue, better use of dual DSP, optimized firmware, fixes for things that they found in earlier models.

SATA III (v. 3.1) will incorporate optimized features for SSDs.

More GB and TB being put closer together packed into a platter.

Compatible HD for Early Mac Pro 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.