Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix Siri contact text messaging confusion

This is a strange iPhone 4s and Siri that I could not find an answer for. Hopefully this helps someone else.

I have my contacts set up on a Mac and synched with my iPhone just fine. I could use Siri to send text messages to any contact. I sent manual text messages through the message portal. Then for some reason Siri would no longer send text messages to one particular user. The user's contact information had a home and mobile number and home and other emails. Siri knew the contact information. Siri knew the mobile telephone number for the contact. However Siri insisted that the contact did not have a mobile number to send texts too and would only try to send texts to the home email. In other words, a Siri dialog went like this:

Me: Siri, what is "Deni's mobile telephone number

Siri: Deni's mobile telephone number is 555-1234 (Siri dialog screen also showed full correct contact information)

Me: Siri, send a text message to Deni's mobile telephone number

Siri: Deni does not have a mobile telephone number. Would you like to send a text to <home email address>?

I rebooted the iPhone. I synched the iPhone. The above dialog continued and I could not use Siri to send a text message to this particular contact. Siri could dial the mobile number but refused to send a text.

I looked at the message history in the message application and discovered that somewhere along the line I had sent a text message to the home email account for the contact.

I cleared all of my messages from the message history and the problem was fixed. Siri was somehow picking up the most resent text message to the contact instead of the information from the contact list.

Clear your text message history. Good luck!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 9:57 PM

1 reply

How to fix Siri contact text messaging confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.