Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import .wav from itunes not working - no error message

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to import a .wav file that i have in itunes. In the garageband media browser i can see the file and i can even play/preview it. i try to drag it to the left and it appears that it is importing, however the file never shows up under tracks. I dont get any error messages. what could be happening and how do i fix it?

thanks

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 6:38 AM

10 replies

Feb 15, 2012 7:26 AM in response to djc225

for testing purposes i used a different app for the recording and the file that it reproduces imports nicely to garageband, so clearly there is some issue with the format of the file that the first app is producing. Since the first recording app is my app of choice id like to be able to solve the problem, and sounds like i need to be able to compare exactly how or why the files are different or convert them to another format before sending to garageband (the itunes convert when import preferences didnt seem to make a difference). what are my options?

thanks

Dec 5, 2012 12:17 PM in response to VR84

Cmd+O doesn't work at all, same for drag and drop.

I can import .wav without problems into iTunes. Have you tried the iTunes "File" menu for import?

File > Add to Library

And make sure you have "Music" selected in the Sidebar of the iTunes window, when you try to import, not one of the playlists.

Also I'd change the filename extension to the default "wav", not ".WAV". My iTunes imports also ".WAV", but you want to share the file to GarageBand.

Dec 5, 2012 12:26 PM in response to léonie

Hi thanks for your reply.

I could import everything with iTunes 9 as well.

iTunes 11 is just giving me new weird troubles. I followed your suggestions (it was working with iTuned 9) but now it doesn't work at all...simply nothing happens.

I had to use compressor to convert .wav files to .aif and that takes much more time.

If you come out with some more ideas please let me know.

Best

Dec 5, 2012 12:35 PM in response to VR84

iTunes '11 is new for me too. You might ask in the iTunes forum.

all...simply nothing happens.

That is very typical for trying to import an audio file that is already in the library. Have you used the search field to check, if a similar file already has been imported? In that case you will simply get no reaction at all. Since iTunes 10 it is nearly impossible to import duplicates.

Import .wav from itunes not working - no error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.