Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Really weird hang up with copy, paste

First off, apologies that this might be an office 2011 problem, but there is a good chance that this might be due to something in lion as well.

The problem is that in Microsoft Office programs, whnever I use any hotkeys for simple tasks like copy and paste (e.g., command+v) the system hangs for 15-20 seconds. The really wierd thing is that it does not happen when I go to the edit menu and click the command there (e.g., edit, paste). This happens even for a new file, where I havent actually done anything in any format yet.

My system is a 2011 13inch MBA. I have tried all of the usual fixes such as repair permissions, fix bad fonts, and remove smart copy and paste, and reinstalling.

The problem seems linked to several programs, in that when the hang happens they rise in CPU usage. These are opendirectoryd, windowserver, and automountd, which is why I am trying to post in these forums. The only error log that I see is in windowserver that is as follows:

Feb 15 12:19:32 [101] kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Microsoft PowerPoint" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

Feb 15 12:19:46 [101] disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "Microsoft PowerPoint" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call.

Feb 15 12:19:46 [101] reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Microsoft PowerPoint" after 15.21 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

and

2/15/12 12:21:54.360 PM Microsoft Word: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetWindowResolution: Invalid window 0xf0

2/15/12 12:21:54.361 PM Microsoft Word: error [1001] getting window resolution

2/15/12 12:21:54.361 PM Microsoft Word: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 240

I am at a loss for what to do next. Any help would be appreciated, I can't always remember to go to the menu since I am so used to using the hotkeys.

Also, I tried using a different set of hotkeys and the hang still happens. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 10:19 AM

2 replies

Jun 12, 2012 2:11 PM in response to SteveMcGuffe

This happens to me, too. I get a busy cursor (beach ball) icon when doing things using command-keys, but not when I click the Copy, Cut, Paste icons in the menubar.

A similar event can be easily, reliably invoked. Launch Terminal and run `top` command, then watch while you right-click Word in the Dock (as if to invoke the Close option). Instead, you'll see opendirectoryd jump up in CPU usage and the "Application not responding" option in the cursor's menu.

Really weird hang up with copy, paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.