Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage full but 5GB free?

I'm getting this message on my iPhone 4S:

This iPhone cannot be backed up because there is not enough iCloud storage available

I looks it up here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3992:

This message is displayed when there is not enough storage space available in your iCloud Storage to complete your backup. Options are offered in the dialog to manage storage space. Alternatively, you can purchase more storage. If you received this message during a backup, or after recently being unable to complete other backups, you should examine and delete any incomplete backups.

When I go into iCloud storage settings, I see there is 5GB of 5GB space available. Any ideas what is going on?

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 1:33 PM

48 replies

Apr 1, 2017 2:34 PM in response to 4thSpace

I had had the same issue and neither the generic troubleshooting solutions nor the ones put forward in the subsequent posts of this thread solved the issue.

As somebody suggested, the actual cause lies in an error in communication between the iDevice and iCloud.

Yesterday I called Apple technical support and after I briefed'em in on the issue, a Senior technical officer fixed it for me. He took a look at my iCloud account and saw that there was, as he rightfully put it "one backup stuck in limbo" (between the iCloud and the Device). He explained that the mechanism of action behind it was:

1. The Device initiated a backup to iCloud
  2. Respective iCloud storage was locked in anticipation of the backup
  3. the Backup failed at some point
  4. the iCloud storage quota claimed by the failed backup was not restored and the failed backup did not show up on the Backups list

There was no way for me as a user to either see the cause of the problem or resolve this issue on my own. To do this some "administrative" iCloud privileges, if you will, are required in order to both see and delete the cause.

The Officer deleted the faulty backup and freed the wrongfully reserved quota. The moment I ended the call and tried the function, it was back to working order.

May 17, 2017 12:28 PM in response to leighfrompeachtree city

leighfrompeachtree city wrote:

So there is no way to fix this without help from Apple? I spend 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday and even mentioned this as a possible issue. Still no resolution - they are "looking into it"

Doesn't sound like it. But not sure why you got that response, since piotr_ch got a resolution. Maybe you should call them back and ask to be escalated to a higher level. You could share what piotr_ch posted with the person you speak with - that may help get it resolved for you.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 15, 2012 2:10 PM in response to 4thSpace

Once I turn off backup to iCloud, the error goes away. I know backup to my Macbook. What is the major difference in backing up an iPhone to iCloud vs Macbook?

I guess if the Macbook crashes, I loose all the iPhone backups. Is it possible to do some of the iPhone backup (Contacts, Reminders) to iCloud and some to the Macbook so I don't use all the my iCloud space? I do have PhotoStream on so photo backups are good for 30 days (I think).

May 10, 2012 5:20 AM in response to 4thSpace

I'm getting the same error. Mine was full, so I downloaded all my photos and videos into my computer an deleted them from my iPhone and iCloud. This freed up 3GB of space. This wa two weeks ago and I continue to receive the error message saying it cannot back up because there is not enough storage. Anyone have any ideas?

Jun 21, 2012 11:24 AM in response to Benito_Levito

Okay, well, I figured out the problem for MY issue and I hope it's the same issue.

I DID have 1.2 GB free on my icloud storage and I was only using 3.8 but this only refers to the latest successful backup I made to iCloud.

It does NOT refer to the current amount of space taken up on my iphone that would need to be backed up if I were to do another iCloud backup. My phone had since filled up to more than 5GB and so I just changed by backup settings to not back up certain apps and brought it back down to under 5GB.

Jul 2, 2012 8:39 PM in response to 4thSpace

Having the same issue on my ipad 3 (Sorry the NEW 2) and I am only backing up my bookmarks!! (I am not backing up anything else, once again I am getting 5GB as the reported free space

Apple got me to reset my network settings which did not help, and now want me to restore the entire device.

Ironic since I can backup fine with dropbox, skydrive, google drive, sugarsync both with client apps and with Readdledocs.

Problem is, I want a basic IPAD SYSTEM backup, with the third party providers do not seem to have (like a bare metal recovery program for a computer) nor would I trust since they are not from the same vendor.

So I will prepare to write off a day and visit an apple store in the future....

Think the real issue is not the apple so much as the communications with icloud back end. FYI I was able to log into the icloud at www.icloud.com and noticed that some (calandar) info was there (once I turned calandar on as a test for additional backup) so even with the error SOMEthing has backed up at SOME time.

This is the web front end for the cloud storage. It must be either the IPAD is reporting to the ICLOUD server an incorrect amount of data, OR ICLOUD is simply not functioning correctly, which makes you wonder about using the service if you really needed it.....(it may not be there).

I think apple need a better Service Level Agreement with Icloud, particularly if a paid customer.Since my job is not a beta tester or a quality consultant for apple I will leave it to them to resolve their issue, and until then my money ($19 per month) will go to dropbox!

Maybe it is backing up SOME data at its discretion, its a bit like the HDMI (geniune) connector that says when first plugged in that "this accessory is not supported" (thats even with 5.1.1 IOS) but functions anyway....

Jul 11, 2012 4:57 PM in response to Jenniaj

I too put all my photos and videos to my pc and removed them from my phone and was getting the same message so then I clicked on the "Delete this backup" and it removed the old back up from the phone, instantly replacing all that free storage I had freed up. I then went ahead and backed it up so it backed up everything I currently had still on my phone. Maybe this will work for you too 🙂

-elise

Jan 16, 2013 4:16 AM in response to 4thSpace

I have deleted all backups, it says 5GB free. I have turned off all app backup options - all set to off. I have wiped and reinstalled my iphone from backup (itunes backup that is), and yet with nothing selected, it still says Next Backup 5.1GB - not enough space...

This is a major bug, and must be an iOS bug. I suspect it is counting all the videos that I have already deleted, so it raised the bar high, and just hasn't lowered it.

Jan 20, 2013 6:21 PM in response to 4thSpace

Same here. And nobody has a solution for this. Telling us to buy more storage space is nonsense. iCloud has residual junk in it from previous backups, and there is no way for me to go in there and wipe it clean.. Solution anyone???

iCloud storage full but 5GB free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.