Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when restoring iPhone (-50), data wiped & no device backups listed

After upgrading my iPhone 4 from iOS 4.3.x to 5.0.1, iTunes cannot complete the restoration of my phone using the backed up data (contacts, photos, etc). The phone is essentially factory-reset with iOS 5 and now whenever I connect my phone to my computer, iTunes prompts me with the following:

"iTunes was interrupted while restoring the contents of the iPhone 'My iPhone'. Would you like to restore this iPhone again now?"

... with options to Cancel, Continue Restore, or Delete Backup. Choosing 'Continue Restore' returns an error message: "An error occurred while restoring this iPhone (-50)."

The Device Backups list in iTunes Preferences is also empty, as if no backups were ever made--despite iTunes displaying it performed a backup prior to installing iOS 5. There are also folders in the following directories:

C:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

C:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Backups *

* A folder (~6gb) was created here at the time I upgraded.

Is there any way to retrieve my data? Or complete the restoration? I lost everything since 2010. 😟

I'm running:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

iTunes 10.5.0.142

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:59 PM

Solution in another thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2698089?threadID=2698089&tstart=103

(1) I deleted all but one folder in: "Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup" and then deleted all the files in this folder but leaving the folder intact.

(2) Next, I copied all the files from: "Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/Mobile Backups/RANDOM FOLDER/Structured" and copied them into the folder above.

(3) Then I selected the folder which I copied the files to in: "Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup" in my iTunes restore from backup option and what do ya know...it worked. All my wife's data was restored...pics, contacts, etc.

---

I would suggest creating a backup now that you can find in iTunes. Then access that folder and delete all the files in it. Copy and paste all the files from the folder you mentioned above into the new folder that you can access in iTunes and then try to restore from it (as iTunes should still see the original folder). That's what worked for me. I would recommend that you make copies of both folders somewhere though in case it doesn't work for you then you at least have original copies. Good luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2012 8:59 PM in response to ahl.question

Solution in another thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2698089?threadID=2698089&tstart=103

(1) I deleted all but one folder in: "Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup" and then deleted all the files in this folder but leaving the folder intact.

(2) Next, I copied all the files from: "Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/Mobile Backups/RANDOM FOLDER/Structured" and copied them into the folder above.

(3) Then I selected the folder which I copied the files to in: "Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup" in my iTunes restore from backup option and what do ya know...it worked. All my wife's data was restored...pics, contacts, etc.

---

I would suggest creating a backup now that you can find in iTunes. Then access that folder and delete all the files in it. Copy and paste all the files from the folder you mentioned above into the new folder that you can access in iTunes and then try to restore from it (as iTunes should still see the original folder). That's what worked for me. I would recommend that you make copies of both folders somewhere though in case it doesn't work for you then you at least have original copies. Good luck!

Error when restoring iPhone (-50), data wiped & no device backups listed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.