Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Macbook Pro 13", But Which one?

Hello, I want to get a Macbook Pro but I dont want to spend a lot of money if I dont need to. I was thinking between either of the 13" models, but which one to get? because the only difference is i5 vs i7, and 2.4GHz vs 2.8GHz. Basically what I will be doing is basic note taking and web surfing, youtube videos and stuff like that, but I will also use it with my HD PVR and EyeTV 3 to record Xbox 360 Gameplay. I've looked at the requirements for the HD PVR and either macbook is good enough for that, but I dont know if I get the Base model will it fail on me if im using iMovie and rendering a lot of videos on it. I saw a review (idk where) about the two and the guy said it wasnt too much of a performance boost so idk.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:24 PM

And I forgot to say that I will be upgrading ram to 8GB myself to increase performance! xD

7 replies

Feb 15, 2012 5:36 PM in response to Honey Badger

In my opinion, your into video/performance, a 15" anti-glare MBP would be more appropriate machine.

Also I assume you like to play 3D games? The 13" won't comply, it has a integrated graphics is lousy on 3D rendering.

The 15" has a nice 30 or 45 scoring on Cinebench, the 13" only 11. 😟

http://www.cbscores.com/index.php?sort=ogl&order=desc

The anti-glare costs a bit more, but you get to see the screen in nearly any enviroment, outside, in the car, on the bus, in class etc, without having to block the windows and lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

8GB of RAM wil give a little boost, but I would wait to see if you really need it before opening up your machine and possible doing damage that will void your warranty/AppleCare.

Also if you dare, 16GB of RAM is avaiallbe at OtherWorld Computing for $250. It of course will come down in price over time.

Good Luck 🙂

Feb 15, 2012 5:40 PM in response to ds store

First of all thanks for the informative and very helpful reply.

Second of all It may break the warrenty (not too sure though) but I will surely not do any damage while changing ram, because all it requires is literally taking of screws and sliding into place.

(I build computers from scratch, Desktops however). I will go with what you said though because i dont know a lot about Mac's This is going to be my first! xD thanks again

2011 Macbook Pro 13", But Which one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.