Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using iChat, what could be causing the person I am chatting with to see my daughter's name instead of my name?

I had a regular chat buddy tell me that I was showing up in his chat window as Rosie (Last Name) instead of Michael (Last Name). I had noticed once or twice before when I had gone to Apple support to sign up for an Express Support call (where they call you at an appointed time) that it had Rosie's name instead of mine. I thought that maybe my daughter had called in for technical support or something.

But after my chat buddy said he saw it on his chat window, I logged into the Manage your Apple ID site and sure enough it had the wrong first name assoicated with this Apple ID! So, I edited that back from my daughter's name to mine and submitted that change.

Well, that chat buddy is still seeing me as Rosie, even though it all looks correct now at the manage Apple ID site.

I'm not sure what to do. My daughter has her own Apple ID which is part of our MobileMe family plan. So, I guess in that sense there is some linkage between hers and mine. But that shouldn't create a problem should it? It's a unique username. I think they're only connected in a billing sense. And they soon won't be in iCloud.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:33 PM

5 replies

Feb 16, 2012 2:25 PM in response to michaeltag

Hi,

There can be issues with which is the master account with MobileMe names.

Often the secondary and Alias accounts cannot be used in iChat or any other AIM login.

User uploaded file
10:25 PM Thursday; February 16, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Feb 22, 2012 1:46 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I suspected this may have been part of the problem. My daughter has a mobile me account that is part of our family plan. I don't know if she has ever logged into any Apple Support or has used iChat, but why can't my editing my iChat account override this?

Do I have to ban her from iChat? Does she have to have a chat account that is unrelated to her mobileme account? She has never had an AOL account or an AIM account.

How do I extract her first name from my online presence in the Apple/AIM universe?

Feb 22, 2012 1:51 PM in response to michaeltag

Hi,

What I meant by "First Name" is the one at the top of the list as it were when the Family account was set up.

(All the other sub-accounts tend to be regarded as Aliases)

As @me.com names can now be linked to iCloud IDs it may pay to look at separating the account out into different IDs in their own right.

User uploaded file
9:51 PM Wednesday; February 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 21, 2012 10:03 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Okay, so the other night, I migrated EVERYONE in the family to iCloud. To the best of my knowledge this obliterates the "Family Pack" and creates four separate iCloud identities, no?
However, the problem persists. I even deleted my iChat account and re-added it.
Perhaps the reality of this fix has to "propagate" through some AIM servers, the way that sometimes a change to a web setting has to?

Mar 21, 2012 1:08 PM in response to michaeltag

HI,

That question would be better suited to the MobileMe forum as I have never had a MobileMe ID.

I would have thought that if the Mobileme account had time to run (Albeit until some time between now and June) that it would still be the controlling factor.

User uploaded file
8:08 PM Wednesday; March 21, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

When using iChat, what could be causing the person I am chatting with to see my daughter's name instead of my name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.