Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal DNS Server Not Resolving

Please forgive me if I seem less than technical when compared to others on this board.

Situation: I am the only (and yes by MY choice) Mac user in my company. Our IT department is PRO Microsoft where they are obsessive and inflexible over almost all software in our company. So I get little or no support from IT. Having said that, when errors on our network occur, it is usually my little Mac that displays something wrong and they are less than pleased at having me identify any troubles. Therefor, I do have to try and come up with solutions to issues on my own and then inform IT if a change is required.

Problem: From my understanding, our IT department changed the internal DNS of our production webserver. I can see the server from home but cannot see the server internally. I can't ping the server. I have done a lookupd -flushcache, cleared Safari's cache (although I can't see the site using any program). Also, I can access our internal network and file servers just not our main site.

I have used IPNetMonitorX abd see a score of internal IPs but the one for the main server does not return data. If I do a lookup on the IP it does however return the name of the server.

I am at quite a loss as to what else I can try or perhaps someone might know if they need to fix or adjust a setting on the Windows server side.

Ideally, it is a quick fix on my machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

12" PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Feb 21, 2006 2:01 PM

5 replies

Feb 22, 2006 8:24 AM in response to danbrodie

I'm not too expert with enterprise networks, so you ought to post this problem in the networking forum.

The only other things I can think of are:

1. Enter the IP address of the DNS in the DNS field of the Network preference pane.

2. Explicityly turn off IPv6.

3. Open the Sharing preference pane and change the Computer name to something short, no spaces or special characters.

4. Open the Directory Access app (Utilities folder) and be sure you have the needed services turned on. Also check the configuration of the SMB service and be sure you have the work group entered correctly. Usually the "generic" WORKGROUP should work on Window's networks.

This is about the extent of my abilities in this arena. The Networking forums will likely find you better expertise.

Internal DNS Server Not Resolving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.