Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro or a PC but with better specs

i do a lot of video editing and photoshop should i get a macbook pro or a PC but with better specs?

an alienware cost me $2,115 and a mac with same specs cost a lot. If i get a mac do i need the same spec as a PC for video editing, photoshop or Flash

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=6099&fb=1&l=en&model_ id=alienware-m14x&oc=dkcwbt1&s=eep&vw=icon

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:26 PM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2012 9:01 PM in response to gym722

Well, what programs do you plan to edit video on? Avid Media Composer? Final Cut Pro? Adobe Premiere? Also, how demanding is the video editing you will be doing? Do you plan to do it professionally? Are you a film student? or it just for personal use/for fun?

Since Apple controls both the hardware and operating system and limits the number of configurations, Macs are generally more stable and predictable. And the operating system is more efficient, so you often get more streamlined power from similar hardware. And for this privilege, you'll pay up to 50% more than you would for a comparably equipped PC.

Does that mean you get more bang for the buck for PC? Not necessarily.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer for a comparison of Mac to PCs.

Personally I prefer Mac and that is what I use to edit on.

Feb 16, 2012 8:20 AM in response to gym722

You don't say what video editing software you use and it is unclear what a "lot of video editing" means. Given the overall question, I'll venture video is a hobby, not a full time thing.

If you are already in the Windows7 world, get the PC and run the Adobe CS suite. nVidia has done a good job of accelerating many graphics routines through its CUDA engine. Make sure the laptop's graphic card supports it.

If you are running some variant of Final Cut Pro, your only option is a Mac (or a Hackentosh).

In either case, you will want an external (or second internal) drive to hold your media.

Good luck.

x

macbook pro or a PC but with better specs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.