Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my isight always on

I have a macbook 13inch 2.4ghz... The isight camera and indicator light above the monitor are always on...

Any ideas on what I can do?

Mac OS X (10.7.3), macbook 13 inch 2.4ghz

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 3:44 AM

Does it stay on when you reboot? If so, check System Prefs/Users & Groups/Login Items to see if there is an app that would use the camera set to open at launch.

5 replies

Feb 16, 2012 6:52 AM in response to danlori

I see that Andrew has already offered suggestions for the most easily corrected possibilities: if restarting the Mac does not correct the problem, take a look for widgets or Login Items that might be using your camera.

If the problem continues, Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 suggestions may help you. The SMU/PMU "reset" for your Mac model suggested there often restores normal function. Be sure to use the reset instructions for your particular Mac model.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.7.3

Feb 16, 2012 8:40 PM in response to EZ Jim

I didn't get a chance to try your method and I accidentally pulled out the power plug from the charger... the battery was out of the computer at the time and the computer shut down... no power...

after I hooked up the battery and attached it to the charger then restarted it ...THE ISIGHT DID NOT TURN ON... I TRIED THE ICHAT AND IT TURNED ON AND WORKS GREAT. I TRIED IT 6 MORE TRYS AND IT WORKS GREAT... PROBLEM WAS SOLVED

Thanx for the help

Oct 7, 2013 8:01 PM in response to EZ Jim

I encountered the same problem today with a built-in iSight camera on a MacBook 13" White Early 2009 running Mac Os X Snow Leopard v10.6.8. In addition, when I fired up the Photo Booth app to see whether the camera worked at all, it informed me that no connected camera was discovered.

While I didn't first try his earlier suggestions, EZ Jim's link to Apple's Knowledge Base article HT2090 - or see the sidebar Related Articles > How To Troubleshoot iSight - eventually led to the solution of both problems which in my case was simply to shut down the computer (choose Shut down... from the Apple menu). This step is suggested only further down the troubleshooting chain in a different KB article altogether which HT2090 links to as the last step of its own troubleshooting procedure. Please note that it is important - and pointed out so in both articles - that you perform the troubleshooting in the order provided. A good place to start as I found out today is here with EZ Jim's link to HT2090.

my isight always on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.