Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I switch remote desktops with lion server screen sharing?

When I sometimes use the Lion Server screen sharing feature to take over my iMac using my Macbook, I find that I'm not able to switch desktops on the remote computer, i.e. using the three finger swipe.

Both are running the latest versions of Lion Server.

Now there MUST be some way to do that right?

Who knows?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27", quad core i7 3.4 GHz, 2TB disk

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 12:10 AM

4 replies

Aug 14, 2012 10:13 AM in response to GerardFromUlrum

Believe me Gerard, you're lucky it works at all! We're having huge problems with it which are being ignored by the powers that be by all accounts.

I think you just have to do the COMMAND-SHIFT-Q option and log out, then log in as a new user.

This is because it could potentially put a huge load on the remote Mac and take it out, as there would be too many open sessions - that is unless a fast user switching option exists in Screen Sharing that I haven't found, which is unlikely..sorry!

Hope this helps.

Aug 14, 2012 12:17 PM in response to john lewis

Hi John, perhaps I did not express myself clearly.

My desktop iMac is set up with multiple desktops (desktop 1 for system stuff, desktop 2 for mail, messages, skype etc, desktop 3 for Safari and desktop 4 for text proessing, VM-Ware and other work).

When I work on that machine I'm logged in as one user and use the three finger swipe left and right or the Cmd-1 thru Cmd-4 keys to switch between those desktops.

I haven't founf how to do that from my a remotely connected MacBook Pro.

Both of which are running Mountain Lion in the mean time. The iMac runs Mountain Lion Server and the MBP has ML Server installed as well, but nut implemented. Just to be able to use the remote screen...

Hope this makes my question a bit mre clear...

Gerard

Nov 28, 2013 3:56 PM in response to GerardFromUlrum

Hi,

I know this is more than a year old thread but not sure if you found a solution? If you are still looking, I've got a solution for you.

Well, I wanted to do this as well (i.e. change the desktop on my Macbook Pro from my iMac that's connectd to the Macbook Pro via Mac Remote Desktop).

Found a workaround online and that is to map the default keys for switching desktops on the Macbook Pro to something that is not already used. By default the switch desktops key is Ctrl-Left Arrow (or Right Arrow). So map it to Cmd-Left Arrow (using System Preferences->Keyboard->Mission Control.

its working for me now.

Rgds,

SW

how do I switch remote desktops with lion server screen sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.