Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install a samsung 830 SSD in my macbook pro 2011.

I am trying to install a samsung 830 SSD in my brand new Macbook pro. Whenever I install it and boot the mac I get three beeps.

When I put the old HD back in it workes fine. The SSD workes fine on a windows machine.

I have seen other macbooks with this SSD work just fine.

What could be the problem?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3), samsung 830 SSD

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 7:19 AM

Three beeps indicates a hardware problem, usually RAM...sure your RAM is fully seated after you opened things up?

15 replies

Feb 16, 2012 7:59 AM in response to wjosten

The samsung SSD comes with a very handy USB cable so I hooked it up to my Imac and repartitioned the disk.

The SSD works without problems on the mac too apparently.

Unfortunately the Macbook still gives me the three beeps when I put the SSD back in. 😟

This is quite frustrating, both the SSD and the Mac are brand new.

If I cant solve it myself which do I send back? The Macbook works fine with the original disk, the SSD works fine in any other PC.

I will try to clone my existing OSX to the SSD and let you know if it worked.

Even if that worked I still would not be confident everything is fine.

The last thing I want is to find out my Macbook is malfunctioning 2 days after the warranty is expired. (wouldnt be the first time 😝)

Thanks for the help so far!

Feb 16, 2012 8:20 AM in response to Joeyvegt

Alright I found the solution.

It turned out that I could not boot from the disk because it did not have a Recovery Partition.

When I wanted to start cloning the original HD to the SSD, carbon copy cloner gave me the notification that there was no Recovery partition available and the cloned HD might not boot.

Luckily it also gave me the option to make a Recovery partition, which I did.

Before I cloned the disk, i tried if the SSD would now be able to boot.

It did! 😀

Thank you for the help, your suggestions led me to the solution!

I will be installing Lion now.

Apr 25, 2012 6:04 PM in response to Joeyvegt

Curious how long your computer takes to boot. I installed my 830 SSD about a week ago and it boots in about 46 seconds from power off to full desktop. Before with my 500GB 7200rpm HDD it took about 1 minute 40 seconds. Obvioulsy 46 seconds is much faster but I was thinking more like <30 seconds. Just curious what others are getting.

Apr 26, 2012 5:13 AM in response to JRizzy

Hello JRizzy,

My macbook boots in roughly 10-14 seconds to the full OSX lion desktop.

Booting in Windows 7 trough bootcamp takes much longer tough, it is stuck on a black screen with only a blinking underscore like stripe for about 10 extra seconds. After that it is fast as ever.

I dont mind the longer windows boot time since I hardly ever use it anyway.

If yours takes 30+ seconds to boot in OSX on a 13" Macbook i5 from 2012 (like mine) or 2011, something is wrong.

Install a samsung 830 SSD in my macbook pro 2011.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.