Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interesting - Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion"

Just saw this article this morning for the next version of Mac OS X code name Mountain Lion. It's interesting that this new version is slated for this summer and so soon after last summer's release of Lion.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 6:40 AM

115 replies

Feb 16, 2012 7:02 AM in response to softwater

The little bit of integration they did with Lion was bad enough... of course we all figured they'd keep going down this road, but I still don't like to see it making it's way to becoming official. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Mac users like this sort of integration. Apple generally follows the fairly sound 80/20 business practice. You design around 80% of your user base. Those of us that are more technically inclined make up a tiny percentage of overall users. Most users are happy with being able to turn on the machine and just use it. They don't want to worry about saving, memory management, application management, etc. So long as everything looks pretty and they can check out FaceBook, they're happy.

Feb 16, 2012 7:52 AM in response to Tgara

Joy... "Twitter is deeply integrated into Mountain Lion". I don't use FaceBook and I don't use Twitter because I don't want to. Granted, I still won't "have" to use Twitter, but I'm going to be forced to see it all over. If I want any third party integration, that should be my choice.

Granted... this is a very early build and things can change. I would expect the features they're including in this build will, however, end up in the final build. Especially given all the changes that were forced on us with Lion, I don't see any reason for them to change direction now.

GateKeeper... although not really an issue as it is now, I can already see the day when we'll need to jailbrake our Macs to install non-authorized applications.

I think the integration and similarity to iOS apps will be a good thing.

The vast majority of users out there will agree with you. Us old timers haven't really been happy with the direction things have been going since Lion. Most people will love it though. We'll all be using iPads with keyboards in a few years. Apple's financials speak for themselves. What they're doing works. Regardless of how vocal the minority may be, it doesn't make business sense to cater to them (us).

Feb 16, 2012 7:48 AM in response to JoeyR

JoeyR wrote:

GateKeeper... although not really an issue as it is now, I can already see the day when we'll need to jailbrake our Macs to install non-authorized applications.

And yet its worth noting that even at its most "secure", GateKeeper won't stop MacKeeper, undoubtedly the No.1 software disaster being allowed to run on Macs at the moment, and which is available on the app stores as '911 bundle'.

(It's a bloody interesting choice of name, actually, isn't it, GateKeeper, I bet zeobit are well chuffed with the association they'll be able to spin out of that).

Feb 16, 2012 7:53 AM in response to JoeyR

JoeyR wrote:

Us old timers haven't really been happy with the direction things have been going since Lion.

Speak for yourself.

We'll all be using iPads with keyboards in a few years.

I'm using my iPad more and more to write papers. I just bought Keynote too. The worst part about Keynote is all the cool features you lose when you have to save it as Powerpoint for an actual presentation. I guess I need to get that video-out port.

Technically I guess I'm still a fan of Office, but Microsoft is flat-footed and Apple is moving fast. Where is my iWork 12 Apple???

Feb 16, 2012 7:57 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

And yet its worth noting that even at its most "secure", GateKeeper won't stop MacKeeper,

You can bash Lion and now Mountain Lion all you want, but you should, at a minimum, read something about it first.

Now you can choose from three security options. You can download and run applications from anywhere, just as in OS X Lion. To be even safer, download and run apps from the Mac App Store and apps with a Developer ID. Or download and run only apps from the Mac App Store — the safest setting of all.

User uploaded file

Ergo, your statement is proven false.

Feb 16, 2012 8:29 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

Going to take that back? 😉

It looks like I have to.

Still, this is supposedly the "MacKeeper Light" version. If it is in the App Store, that means that it has to run as a self-contained application that can be easily deleted. Plus, the user has to fork over $29.99 first. Hopefully fewer will do that for an app with these kinds of ratings:

User uploaded file

Feb 16, 2012 8:36 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

softwater wrote:

Going to take that back? 😉

It looks like I have to.

Still, this is supposedly the "MacKeeper Light" version.

Alas, zeobit are a little more underhand than that. Apparently, the 911 bundle app bombards users with popups and other prompts to install the full MK app from the zeobit website. They are not very subtle, but they are pretty effective.

User uploaded file

Feb 16, 2012 9:25 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

Alas, zeobit are a little more underhand than that. Apparently, the 911 bundle app bombards users with popups and other prompts to install the full MK app from the zeobit website. They are not very subtle, but they are pretty effective.

At least the Mac App store requires an up-front payment and provides a mechanism for feedback.

Interesting - Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.