Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next 115 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2012 6:43 PM by Tgara Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    Jeff Kelleher wrote:

     

    My home  Mac is 8+ years old. It still works. It does not run 10.6 or later, but it does what I need. Obsolete? maybe? Still works, does what it did when new, and more? Yes. All computers will be "obsolete" in a couple years if you define obsolete as not being able to run the newest apps.

    Lots of folks are still running XP. If you're upset because Apple is making new products, and your Mac is no longer one of the newest macs....

    Another person that misses the point, it is not about "being upset because your Mac is not the newest" is just the fact that Lion was such a buggy OS in my experience that I cannot grasp the idea that Apple will release another OS rather than focusing on repairing Lion. In addition that a new OS is always buggy when it is released, having a yearly release schedule does not give enough time for the OS to mature therefore OSX will become a not so mature platform if this scheme follows.

  • Drew Reece (Re:co) Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)

    vea1083 wrote:

     

    As for the AHT I have also run the version that is included in my restore Applications DVD that were shipped with my Mac, ran the tests 2 times and all the tests were passed with no problems.

     

    It's good that it says the system is OK, there should be an extended test mode that has an option to repeat, I think the general idea is to let it run for a day if possible to see if it is temperature related. Chances are it's a Lion fault since 10.6 & AHT are happy. Give Apple a few more 10.7.x releases & they may eventually fix it.

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (6,750 points)

    Drew Reece (Re:co) wrote:

     

    I do have issue with Apple leaving users in the cold removing a service which I was willing to pay for. I'm one generation behind & I can't use even a limited set of the features that I had before iCloud.

     

    Now I have no option but to pay someone else to provide a similar service. It's beyond my comprehension how this can be seen as a good thing for a company to do.

    iCloud replaced Mobile Me, and has done so on a much grander scale, because of the iPad iPhone integration with Lion. As I said, a lot won't like it, but what is the alternative? Mobile Me was too old a concept to take forward into mobile communications so was a white elephant for any company to prop up. The cloud has been around for a while now and was seen as the future in Apple device syncing. It wasn't my fault. I'm just saying that businesses look at future directions perhaps more than backward compatability these days, as do most other big electronic and telecommunication businesses. Apple are no different.

     

    Pete

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    vea1083 wrote:

     

    I would agree that you can custom tailor your experience however, this yearly OSX upgrade schedule can force-obsolete a Mac that is only 4 years old. My opinions are based on my personal experience from upgrading to Lion and having far too many issues with that OS compared to SL (which I re installed on my Mac just 2 days ago). Now, Apple wants to give another OS while they have not finished fixing Lion in the first place.

    So isn't that good for all the Lion haters that they are going with another system? There is no proof also that there will be yearly releases of new OSs. Anything can happen in the world of computing. ML may be the best system ever and not need to be replaced. Most people are fine with Lion, and many here have already claimed they are waiting for 10.8 because Lion is no good. So, here comes 10.8.

     

    A lot of fuss over something not even released yet.

     

    I think people should just chill out a bit until more is known.

     

    Pete

     

    And why do you need a new machine every 4 years? This has happened once when 2007 Macs were upgraded to Intel? My old MBP from 2007 with 3GB RAM isn't going anywhere that I know of. It runs Lion fine and hopefully 10.8 as well.

     

    Message was edited by: petermac87

     

    Sorry to break the news, according to Ars Technica your 2007 MBP will not run Mountain Lion. This is what I say many users will be forced to upgrade their hardware through the purchase of a new computer. Yes, a 4 year old Mac does not have any problems but Apple thinks is way too old for 10.8.

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    Drew Reece (Re:co) wrote:

     

    vea1083 wrote:

     

    As for the AHT I have also run the version that is included in my restore Applications DVD that were shipped with my Mac, ran the tests 2 times and all the tests were passed with no problems.

     

    It's good that it says the system is OK, there should be an extended test mode that has an option to repeat, I think the general idea is to let it run for a day if possible to see if it is temperature related. Chances are it's a Lion fault since 10.6 & AHT are happy. Give Apple a few more 10.7.x releases & they may eventually fix it.

    I always default to the extended test in the AHT DVD.

  • Jeff Kelleher Level 4 Level 4 (3,015 points)

    A 5 year old MBP may not run the newest OS according to Ars technica....IMHO, trying to run a new OS on a 5 year old Mac has never been the best bet. You can disagree with Apple's's history of leaving old hardware behind, but, well, that's been fairly typical.

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (6,750 points)

    vea1083 wrote:

     

    Sorry to break the news, according to Ars Technica your 2007 MBP will not run Mountain Lion. This is what I say many users will be forced to upgrade their hardware through the purchase of a new computer. Yes, a 4 year old Mac does not have any problems but Apple thinks is way too old for 10.8.

    Then I will update my 2010 to ML and leave the 2007 on Lion. It has no problems and if that's the last OS it will run, then I could not be happier. Lion is working fine for most people. Just not most here because it is a trouble shooting forum.

     

    Pete

  • Drew Reece (Re:co) Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)

    petermac87 wrote:

    There is no proof also that there will be yearly releases of new OSs.

     

     

    You're not reading the same blogs as us…

     

    http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

     

    5th Paragraph

     

    And then the reveal: Mac OS X — sorry, OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule. This year’s update is scheduled for release in the summer, and is ready now for a developer preview release. Its name is Mountain Lion.1

    & some more evidence…

    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mountain%20lion%20yearly

  • Jeff Kelleher Level 4 Level 4 (3,015 points)

    Pete - you hit the nail on the head.

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    vea1083 wrote:

     

    Sorry to break the news, according to Ars Technica your 2007 MBP will not run Mountain Lion. This is what I say many users will be forced to upgrade their hardware through the purchase of a new computer. Yes, a 4 year old Mac does not have any problems but Apple thinks is way too old for 10.8.

    Then I will update my 2010 to ML and leave the 2007 on Lion. It has no problems and if that's the last OS it will run, then I could not be happier. Lion is working fine for most people. Just not most here because it is a trouble shooting forum.

     

    Pete

    I would be happier as well if my Mac could run it's last OS fine. The issue then again is, backwards compatibilty with Apple is not always guaranteed for older Mac models.

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    Jeff Kelleher wrote:

     

    A 5 year old MBP may not run the newest OS according to Ars technica....IMHO, trying to run a new OS on a 5 year old Mac has never been the best bet. You can disagree with Apple's's history of leaving old hardware behind, but, well, that's been fairly typical.

    I know that a new OS in old hardware is not a good thing. But then again, I think that the longest a computer should last is 5-6 years at the most to get a return on the investment. I have always considered a computer a durable good.

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    Drew Reece (Re:co) wrote:

     

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    There is no proof also that there will be yearly releases of new OSs.

     

     

     

    You're not reading the same blogs as us…

     

    http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

     

    5th Paragraph

     

    And then the reveal: Mac OS X — sorry, OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule. This year’s update is scheduled for release in the summer, and is ready now for a developer preview release. Its name is Mountain Lion.1

    & some more evidence…

    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mountain%20lion%20yearly

    Thanks for bringing that to Pete's attention.

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (6,750 points)

    Drew Reece (Re:co) wrote:

     

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    There is no proof also that there will be yearly releases of new OSs.

     

     

     

    You're not reading the same blogs as us…

     

    http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

     

    5th Paragraph

     

    And then the reveal: Mac OS X — sorry, OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule. This year’s update is scheduled for release in the summer, and is ready now for a developer preview release. Its name is Mountain Lion.1

    & some more evidence…

    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mountain%20lion%20yearly

    Well that's a good thing Reece. Everybody knows exactly when updates are due, whether or not they are upgrades, even iOS has updates, not always upgrades, and the compaints should fall away a great percentage from these forums. (But it won't!) I will be happy if this comes to fruition. Happier than the extended wait for the iPad 2, iPhone 5 (sorry 4S) and iOS 5, which didn't quite arrive on time. So over all this will be a good thing for everybody.

     

    Pete

  • mistrija Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I'm not sure is this the right solution for desktops, iMac and Mac Pro.

    For laptops O.K. from let' say young student point of view, fine, with all social, fun and media features...but it seems quite a bizarre situation considering the fact that iOS (or at least started as) is actually a crippled version of Mac OS. Right?

    But now they "stealing" features from they 're own "new" OS and putting them (even more interesting almost as "never seen before") on they 're older OS.

    O.K. from popularity POV, iOS is done everything that Mac OS was not. From grown up as gaming platform, to be most popular in general, but...still Mac OS getting look less and less like serious professional oriented piece of software, as he was.

    Imagine a serious pro video editor, or audio engineer coming to his work, waking up machine with 12 cores CPU and being "welcomed" by colorful OS which has enormous happy icons and things like launchpad :s

    Even with nice pro dark software like latest final cut x installed inside, this looks like funny situation.

    I think Apple should (if they continue with iOS-ification) seriously consider making two versions of Mac OS. Pro and Casual. By pro I do not mean like OS X server or "home, office etc" editions like MS done with Win OS. But something even more radical. With completely different GUI for start...

  • Stephen Schulte2 Level 2 Level 2 (170 points)

    I agree!  I keep things a Long time!  8 years for my cars at least; and my wife loves her Feb 2005 eMac running OS X 10.5 Leopard (can't go further) and I love my Feb 2005 PBG4-12" - also on Leopard.  Daughter has a MacBook-white from May 2006 on Snow Leopard (Core Duo, not Duo-2 so no LION possible for her)

     

    My newest Mac is the 13" MBP (mid-2010) but although I've tried LION I'm sticking with Snow Leopard (for Rosetta etc.) but will likely move to a new MacBook Air-smallest (11") when the next version comes out and then run LION, or if really later this year MOUNTAIN LION on that.

     

    And then in 2013:  Mac OS 10.9 Jaguarundi

     

    Did I mention my Mac SE running OS X 6.0.4? 

     

    Steve

    Friday 17 February 2012 - Happy Birthday to me!

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next