3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 12:19 AM by tgbauer
MetaswitchNetworks Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ever since Lion 10.7.3 was released, I've not been able to install the custom client installer package that I've made with Apple Remote Desktop 3.5.1.

The error I get is "Remote Desktop Client Update can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed".

I'm guessing this is to do with Apple releasing the ARD 3.5.2 client, but not releasing a new server.

Is there any way of me tweaking the custom installer, so this can be installed? Or do I have have to wait for ARD server to be upgraded to 3.5.2? :-|

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • gavin0001 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was able to download the ARD 3.5.2 Client and take the customisations from the generated custom client installer.

To do this you need to expand the Custom Installer to a directory somewhere (in this example I'll expand it to a directory on the desktop)

pkgutil --expand CustomClientInstaller.pkg ~/Desktop/CustomClientInstaller

Inside the expanded package, there are 3 files which are appended with "_entries" which seem to contain the customisations that are specified during the package generation process. So, we need to copy these to a temporary location...

cp ~/Desktop/CustomClientInstaller/RemoteDesktopClient.pkg/Scripts/Tools/*_entries ~/Desktop

Now, what we need to do is expand the ARD Client we just downloaded (3.5.2) and apply the customisations to it...

pkgutil --expand RemoteDesktopClient.pkg ~/Desktop/RemoteDesktopClient

cp ~/Desktop/*_entries ~/Desktop/RemoteDesktopClient/RemoteDesktopClient.pkg/Scripts/Tools

pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/RemoteDesktopClient CustomRemoteDesktopClient.pkg

You should now have an up-to-date customised ARD client. Note that I have not fully tested all of the options, such as creating users. It may be necessary to look at this post if the newly customised ARD client has problems creating a new user.

Hope that helps

• Eric Shaheen Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

Not sure why it fails to save the .pkg file to the selected destination, but I found temp file is actually stored here:

You can grab it and it works just fine.

• tgbauer Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

If you have ssh access to the system, you can use the generic client install package, install it via ssh as discribed in the ARD Admin Guide ( http://images.apple.com/remotedesktop/pdf/ARD_Admin_Guide.pdf ), then use the information on the following page to configure the client via ssh.

Basically comes down to something like the following command:

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -activate -configure -access -on -restart -agent -privs -all -users <ShortName>