Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost administrator password how can i recover password??

How can i get back into my computer if i lost admin password??

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 10:28 AM

Mac passwords are encrypted as they are entered. They are never stored "in the clear". There is no way to "recover" passwords, unless you have a supercomputer handy and are willing to try guessing passwords for the next few weeks.

You can replace your Admin password by booting to the Installer DVD, answering only the "what language" question, and waiting for the Menubar to be drawn. Then choose Reset Password off the Utilities Menu in 10.5 and later, I think it may be the Apple Menu in 10.4.

If running 10.7, the procedure uses the Recovery partition (Command-R at startup) and requires the Apple-ID (and password) used to Install the System.

The change is permanent. The old password is gone forever without a trace.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2012 10:28 AM in response to BuMpRoC

Mac passwords are encrypted as they are entered. They are never stored "in the clear". There is no way to "recover" passwords, unless you have a supercomputer handy and are willing to try guessing passwords for the next few weeks.

You can replace your Admin password by booting to the Installer DVD, answering only the "what language" question, and waiting for the Menubar to be drawn. Then choose Reset Password off the Utilities Menu in 10.5 and later, I think it may be the Apple Menu in 10.4.

If running 10.7, the procedure uses the Recovery partition (Command-R at startup) and requires the Apple-ID (and password) used to Install the System.

The change is permanent. The old password is gone forever without a trace.

Feb 16, 2012 1:33 PM in response to BuMpRoC

If you have deliberately encrypted your music and pics with File Vault, they are well protected.

If they are just on another account, you do not have access to them at the moment. Log in as the account holder and they will be available. If you cannot remember the password for the account that owns these files, well, the info is above.

Feb 16, 2012 2:01 PM in response to BuMpRoC

Select (click once only) a file of something you want to access. Choose GetInfo off the File Menu. Look under "Sharing and Permissions" to find out the owner account. Use the information in this article to reset the password for that account. Log in as that user, and the files should be accessible.

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

lost administrator password how can i recover password??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.