Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS getting really slow

Ever since iOS5 my iPhone 3GS has been getting slower and slower.

It can have a lag of like 2 seconds from simply turning it onto silent. It likes to crap out when reciving emails/messages; sometimes it does half the noise, then the other half of the noise at a higher pitch. Sometimes it might vibrate too early or late.

Loading the settings crashes sometimes. I have to wait quite a long time for some things like going into message threads etc.

Sometimes music sounds like a stuck record, which happens much too often.

Will a restore actually help? I've done restores before, never really found them to be that helpful. Just makes me waste time getting my homescreen back to how I had it.

Also I'm reluctant to get a new iPhone because the 3GS with iOS5 is about as useful as a 4S with iOS5 for me. Not planning on getting whatever comes next either. Might wait until my 3GS actally falls apart which will be a while considering I've had it for two years and it looks almost brand new.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010 21.5", 3.06GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:44 AM

4 replies

Feb 16, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Siderz

Copy your photos to your computer and backup manually. Set up the phone again as new, use the backup to restore you data and settings. If you're lucky the problem is gone, due to the new software setup.

Copying personal photos and videos from iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer

If this does not work, you can still do the same again, this time without using the backup.

iPhone 3GS getting really slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.