Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari has problems on Youtube.

Latetly Safari has been crashing alot on Youtube. Also it has problems loading the video description. It only loads half the description text. In addition, I have to randomly moving the mouse over it reeals links as though it were masked. I don't have this problem with other browsers so what is going on.

Here is a screen shot:

User uploaded file

Here is a screen Shot of FIrefox on the same Page:

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 12:36 PM

12 replies

Feb 16, 2012 3:41 PM in response to macjsus

Since it effects both browsers and most YouTube content requires the Flash plugin, try uninstalling your current copy of Flash, then reinstall new > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

For Safari ... Make sure and quit Safari before reinstalling the plugin. Once it's reinstalled, launch Safari.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

Then try a video.

Feb 21, 2012 6:53 PM in response to macjsus

Same problem here, for at least the last month or two. Tried clearing cache, updating flash, trashing Safari preferences. No dice. Seems like it started around the time that YouTube changed its layout design. Can only see top half of video descriptions. Links appear if I wave cursor around, still no normal text shows. I produce video content that I post on YouTube & it scares me that Safari users will never see my notes & descriptions. Gonna' have to try to convice everyone to use Firefox, I guess.

Apr 29, 2012 11:07 PM in response to macjsus

This is still happening.

I've had this Youtube bug in Safari since Jan 2012, and here about to enter May with it still happening!

I've reported bug several times to YT and Apple, yet nothing has been done in nearly FOUR MONTHS.

So annoying having to continualy use cmd+A or rolling over the text with mouse pointer, in order to see decription details each time.

Really unimpressed with YT & Apple's response here (I suggest it's YT more than Apple, but who really knows?!).

Apr 29, 2012 11:39 PM in response to macjsus

For what it is worth I have been having the same issues with Safari not playing the game with YouTube videos whereas Firefox works perfectly. Very frustratiing. I'm running Lion - 10.7.3

The solution I have found, just a short while ago, was to remove the Flash Plugin altogether. Now YouTube videos play perfectly in Safari (Ie, no black screen) despite the fact that YouTube advises that I should install the Flash Player plugin when I go to the home screen.

The other benefit (real or perceived) is that my MacBook is now running a little better too. Make of that what you will.

Chrispy

Apr 29, 2012 11:53 PM in response to 2point5

Sorry but that's not the issue we're all talking about in this thread.

It's the *description text* underneath the videos that's not displaying properly (see the first post pictures).

The videos all play fine whether using Flash or HTML 5 versions.

(although there is yet another occasional bug, where the preview you get when mousing over the timeline fails to hide when removing your mouse pointer from it — but that's a whole other story!)

Safari has problems on Youtube.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.