8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2012 2:28 AM by yvesleon3105
yvesleon3105 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

What I am missing in messages beta is the possibility to see who of your contacts have the application, or are using a device with IOS 5.

Now you write the message, and when you want to send it, yu find out that the people are unavailable to imessage.

Big advantage of whatsapp or messaging through viber/skype is that you can see the contacts which uses the application.

imac
  • bbfc Level 3 Level 3 (845 points)

The blue iMessage chat icon will appear next to the contact when you search for them.

• abouskila Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

True i was thinking the same thing also i want to be able to use iMessage on my computer with my phone number as well so i can text people through my computer (at least those with iOS 5)

• yvesleon3105 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Yes bbfc, it does, but this is not very

practical, and I think Apple should look for a more user friendly solution.

The way it works now is not a very Apple-like.

abouskila wrote:

True i was thinking the same thing also i want to be able to use iMessage on my computer with my phone number as well so i can text people through my computer (at least those with iOS 5)

But your Mac is not a phone so it cannot send messages from your phone number, only your email address. I don't think there would be anyway around this. You need to set your Caller ID to your email address and the problem is so-what sorted. I think what you're asking is impossible.

Thats not so true.. A friend of mine has a droid and he sends text messgaes from his computer, all his devices are completely synced- this app doesnt do that

then again droids have the feature of downloading apps from your computer and having them installed on your phone without you touching the phone so in that respect google does have slightly more advanced technology

that being said i still love my iphone and mac lol

Well if you click on the contact and choose their phone number, does it work that way?

Yeh you can send a text to a phone number that iOS5 but it comes up as you email address- the app is great i just wish there was a way i can send texts from my computer not neccesarily iMessage but texts in general like if there was an SMS app- But I digress...

• yvesleon3105 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

No, actually if you click the phone number it does not see what kind of device they have aparently.

The blue chat icon appears only next to the email address, and not next to the phone number.

It seems to send the message to the ecipients mesage folder on his phone though.